This entry was posted on August 7, 2020.
Hatha Yoga is the mix of postures and respiratory practices. For centuries, the Hatha Yoga Pradipika outlined bodily yoga observe. Most of the 15 poses described within the textual content are seated postures, with one lone backbend, Dhanurasana (Bow Pose). As yoga has tailored to trendy life, nonetheless, backbends have turn into ever extra necessary. This publish will characteristic one in every of yoga’s emblematic backbends, Ustrasana (Camel Pose).
Practicing backbends is necessary due to the thoracic backbone’s tendency to stoop ahead over time. It’s comprehensible. Most of our every day life actions require that we bend ahead—over digital gadgets, counter tops, steering wheels, and so forth. Add to that the tendency for gravity to tug us ahead over time. Regular backbending will help us keep upright.
It’s necessary to level out that the thoracic backbone just isn’t really designed to increase (backbend). When we observe backbends, it’s the lumbar backbone that’s really doing the backbending. But there are issues we will do to ensure we don’t overuse the lumbar. We do that by making ready different areas of the physique correctly earlier than we try Camel Pose, or any backbend.
How to Prepare for Ustrasana
It’s necessary to heat up earlier than practising any backbend. Here are the actions that may put together us for practising Ustrasana, together with poses that help these actions:
Cautions for Ustrasana
Be conscious that Ustrasana just isn’t a wholesome pose for each particular person. Please keep away from this pose you probably have hypertension or extreme fatigue. Here are another cautions and contraindications from Yoga Journal:
- Avoid or modify should you really feel any pinching or ache in your low again.
- Avoid or modify you probably have any shoulder ache, shoulder arthritis, or shoulder accidents.
- Avoid or modify you probably have any again ache or accidents, together with surgical procedures.
- For most, it’s best to not drop your head again on this pose, significantly you probably have a neck harm or are in danger for stroke. Instead, carry your chin barely and use your neck muscle tissues to stabilize your head in place. You may even draw the chin in towards the chest.
- Avoid or modify you probably have shoulder accidents or ache within the pose.
How to Practice Ustrasana
After you’ve spent a while making ready your physique, you’ll possible be able to strive Ustrasana. This model will use a yoga bolster throughout the calves that can assist you get most carry and lengthening within the backbone.
- Begin by sitting in your heels on a yoga mat. If your knees is not going to enable this, be at liberty to position a rolled blanket or block beneath your hips to start out.
- Take a second to really feel your physique. What is the character of your vitality? Slow or fast? Downward or upward transferring? Calm or agitated? There’s no have to attempt to “correct” what you’re feeling; merely discover what’s current.
- Press your knees and shins into the ground to carry your hips off the heels, bringing you to a kneeling place, together with your pelvis instantly over your knees.
- Place a yoga bolster throughout your calves.
- Place your palms in your pelvic rim. Ground your knees and shins, lifting your sternum towards the sky, in order that your low again lengthens. From this lengthening, root your pelvis proper over your knees (don’t let it fall again towards your heels), and start to bend again from the waist. Keep lengthening your backbone as you bend again.
- Reach your palms again behind you and place them in your bolster. Breathe and develop.
- Stay right here, respiratory totally, for five to 10 breaths.
- Press your knees into the ground to assist convey your physique again to upright. Release each arms to your sides and return to sitting in your heels or your block or bolster.
- Close your eyes and concentrate on your physique’s vitality. Has something shifted?
- If your lumbar is versatile in backbends, you are able to do this once more, putting your palms in your heels as an alternative of the bolster. If you do that and discover that your respiratory is restricted or your pelvis collapses again over the toes, return to an upright place and observe once more with a bolster. Also, be at liberty to maneuver on to the subsequent step.
- After practising Ustrasana, observe Jathara Parivrttanasana (Revolved Belly Pose). Then observe no less than one seated ahead bend to stretch the again physique and settle your nervous system. Finish with Savasana (Relaxation Pose).
About Charlotte Bell
Charlotte Bell found yoga in 1982 and commenced educating in 1986. Charlotte is the creator of Mindful Yoga, Mindful Life: A Guide for Everyday Practice, printed by Rodmell Press. Her second guide, Yoga for Meditators (Rodmell Press) was printed in May 2012. She writes a month-to-month column for CATALYST Magazine and serves as editor for Yoga U Online. Charlotte is a founding board member for GreenTREE Yoga, a non-profit that brings yoga to varsities and to underserved populations. A lifelong musician, Charlotte performs oboe and English horn within the Salt Lake Symphony and folks sextet Red Rock Rondo, whose DVD gained two Emmy awards in 2010.