Skandasana for deep hip stretching. Source: Shutterstock
Skandasana in yoga is a facet lunge train that’s a part of the hip opening sequence. Sometimes it’s practiced as a transitional pose in a circulate, however when practiced individually it deepens the stretch of glutes, hamstrings, and quads.
If you have got beforehand practiced the Squat Pose (Malasana), Skandasana is a sophisticated variant of it, the place the physique weight rests on one foot as a substitute of each ft.
In Skandasana the physique weight is shifted onto one bent leg in order that the alternative leg could be stretched freely to the facet. It tones your legs and provides you slim thighs.
In skandsasana, "Skanda" means "the position of a warrior during an attack" and "asana" means "pose". This pose is devoted Kartikeyawho’s the elder son of Lord Shiva and known as the god of warfare.
When the physique is within the facet lunge place of Skandasana, the practitioner seems like an attacking place on the battlefield. This is how the asana received its title. It is also called the "god of war pose".
Based on the epic poem Kumarsambhava written by Kalidasa;; Once known as the demon Taraka precipitated a disturbance among the many gods.
He had been given a blessing that might solely be killed by the son of Lord Shiva. went to him for the goddess Parvati, however Shiva was in deep meditation; Disturb Shiva, Kama (god of affection) shot an arrow of want at him, burned to ashes in response, when Shiva opened his third eye.
Then get together with Shiva; Parvati adopted asceticism by selecting non secular self-discipline and marrying Shiva; after some time Kartikeya (Skanda) was born; and after reaching manhood, Taraka destroyed.
Skandasana train guide
This asana could be safely practiced by practising the steps of giving.
Precautions and Contraindications
- Practitioners with knee and ankle issues ought to keep away from doing this asana.
- Menstruating ladies ought to keep away from skandasana. pregnant ladies do with out it within the later trimester; and may seek the advice of a health care provider first earlier than practising below the certified yoga teacher.
- Practitioners with hamstring, groin, and hip accidents don’t observe this asana till they’ve recovered.
- Start by coming into the Prasarita Padottanasana – standing straight, legs barely wider than shoulder-free.
- Get in your proper leg in a half crouching place.
- Rotate your proper foot outward, bend your proper knee, and lean in to your proper facet whereas retaining your left leg straight. slowly shift your physique weight onto your proper leg. Flex your left foot and your toes up.
- Press down on the heel of the left foot and tighten the only real of the proper foot to deepen the stretch. This is the ultimate place of the facet lunge pose.
- You can play together with your arms to create variations of Skandasana. For simplicity, do Anjali Mudra by hand to achieve focus, stabilize the pose, or simply lay it on the ground.
- Hold a number of breaths right here, then come to the central place (first step) and shift your weight onto one other leg.
The following observe this sequence of Skandasana: from the left leg to the center place and from the center to the proper leg. To repeat! When you’re completed, cease within the center place and chill out in Tadasana.
Tips for novices
- A newbie shouldn't attempt to accomplish this pose . This can result in accidents.
- Heavy stress is exerted on the knees as you shift your weight from one leg to a different. higher go sluggish right here.
Props and modifications
- You can put a folded blanket below your heel to assist posture.
- To deepen the stretch, practitioners can steadiness the pose on the ankle balls. as when you couldn't get there with the only real.
- Practitioners can even place a pad below their seats to keep away from falls as a consequence of imbalance.
Follow up poses
In the collection of lunge poses, poses reminiscent of Equestrian Pose, Low Lunge Pose and High Lunge Pose could be practiced.
Variations of the facet lunge consist of various positions of the arms and higher torso, which could be practiced within the following methods:
1.Uthita Baddha Parsva Upvesasana (Tied Side Lunge Pose)
Skandasana Variation – sure lateral lunge stretch pose. Source: canva
In this variant of the lateral lunge pose, the arms are positioned across the bent leg in order that the legs are restricted and the alternative leg extension is deepened. In order to do that:
- Clasp your left wrist or just your fingers together with your proper hand. whereas wrapping your proper leg shin. Your left foot factors up and appears to the left.
2. Standing facet lunge with ahead bend
In this variation, after reaching the ultimate place of the facet lunge pose, straighten your core after which bend ahead out of your waist. Here on this place the arms can relaxation on the respective legs or on the ground.
- Strengthening the core muscle tissue – The transitional motion to the proper and left on this asana engages the stomach, which stimulates the core muscle tissue (abdominis, obliques, and so forth.).
- Improve the flexibleness of the decrease physique – The completed place of this asana requires a deeper stretch; This relaxes the muscle tissue of the hips, thighs, calves, pelvis, and so forth. This makes a decrease physique supple.
- Strengthens the knee and ankle joints – The stress exerted by the affected joints on this asana improves blood circulate to those areas. which serves with recent oxygenated blood loaded with vitamins for its tissues. Ultimately, it strengthens.
- Improve respiratory – The variant of Skandasana given above includes bending the trunk sideways, what extends intercostal (Muscles between the ribs); This permits extra freedom of growth into the lungs. So assist with respiratory.
- Open the hip joint – Stretching and holding for a very long time on this asana opens the hip joint; this additional reduces the issue of the asanas and requires a 180 diploma stretch reminiscent of hanumanasana (monkey pose).
- Combat Stress and Anxiety – The dynamic nature of Skandasana will increase blood circulate to the top, neck and shoulder area. This soothes the affected space and has a relaxing impact on the thoughts.
- Balances the sacral and root chakra – The bodily motion of the physique within the lateral lunge pose influences the sacral and root chakra. This makes up for it. Another well-balanced root and sacral chakra offers the particular person a sense of safety, solidarity and permits them to benefit from the joys of life.