Shashankasana or the rabbit pose. Source: Canva
Shashankasana is a soothing posture and a boon for again ache. When classifying yoga asanas, it falls below the ahead flexion pose, which gently stretches all the backbone, particularly the decrease again and higher torso.
This asana is likely one of the easiest poses in yoga that may be practiced by anybody no matter age.
You might have often practiced Shashankasana in a submit or restoration asana whereas doing numerous again flexions or reverse positions equivalent to an upward arch or shoulder stand.
The Sanskrit phrase Shashankasana is a mix of two phrases, the place "Shashank" means "moon" and "Asana" means "pose". The moon (Shashank) is an emblem of peace and tranquility. Shashankasana presents the identical and is often known as "Shashankasana".Moon posture".
Hare-like construction that reveals itself in darkish moon spots.
According to legend, the traditional Indians noticed the darkish spots on the total moon that resemble the form of a hare or rabbit with the moon of their laps.
In Shashank, Shash means "rabbit" and Ank means "lap". In Shashankasana, if you bend ahead, you relaxation in your lap, which mimics the looks of a "rabbit". So that's it Rabbit conserving.
The moon soothes and calms because it shows its cool and calm energetic vibration. Hence, practising Shashankasana has an identical impact on the thoughts and physique of practitioners.
Shashankasana follow handbook
Practitioners can observe the steps beneath to follow this asana.
Precautions and Contraindications
- Avoid Shashankasana in case you have stomach accidents, current shoulder or again surgical procedure, knee issues, or herniated discs.
- Women who’re pregnant and on the menstrual cycle also needs to keep away from this pose.
- Bound Angle Pose (Baddha Konasana)
- Lying hero posture (Supta Virasana)
- Lying hand-to-big-toe pose (Supta Padangusthasana)
Shashankasana key factors. Source: canva
- Come into Vajrasana, hand on thigh and backbone must be upright. Open your knees aside, wider than shoulder width.
- Place your palms on the ground between the areas created by the widening of your knees.
- As you exhale, slide your fingers on the ground and bend your torso ahead out of your hips. Keep your hand, head, and backbone in a straight line.
- Come down and contact the ground of your palms and brow. Breathe gently right here. You can shut your eyes to encourage leisure.
Inhale and slowly slide your arms again as you utilize your core muscular tissues. Now come again in a sitting vajrasana place together with your arms raised and your again straight.
Keep fingers down and breathe usually.
Follow up pose
- Corpsing (Savasana)
- Lying Thunderbolt Pose (Supta Vajrasana)
- Seated Forward Bend (Paschimottanasana)
Props & Modifications
- Place a cushion below your head within the ahead bend of Shashankasana when the again or hip muscular tissues are stiff (when the hips aren’t excessive sufficient).
- To prolong the backbone past the traditional restrict, accomplish that in opposition to stable bars. Measure the gap to stable bars in order that it’s barely bigger than your stretched fingers within the Shashankasana place. Pull on it now to present your fingers and backbone an excellent stretch.
Balasana (above) versus Shashankasana (beneath).
With little variation in Shashankasana, it turns into an identical stress-free pose known as Child Pose (or Balasana). The solely distinction that may be present in Shashankasana and Balasana is:
- In Shashankasana, the hand goes ahead and the palms are flat on the ground. On the opposite hand, balasana practices resting the fingers backwards subsequent to the hips with the palm going through up.
1. Shashankasana fingers stretched backwards
- Sit in Vajrasana and shut your eyes. Now grasp the writings of your proper hand on the left hand behind your again.
- Inhale after which exhale to bend your torso ahead. Let your brow contact the ground and loosen up there with regular or deep respiratory (ujjayi breath).
- Stay within the pose so long as it’s comfy. Now inhale to return.
2. Shashankasana fingers below the stomach
This variant helps with digestion and is nice for abdomen ache.
- Sit in Vajrasana and shut your eyes. Now make a fist out of your proper hand and place it in your decrease stomach.
- Inhale after which exhale to bend ahead. This will make your brow contact the bottom. Keep it on whereas it's comfy
- Now, as you inhale, come again and sit in Vajrasana. Make a number of laps altering fingers.
- Soothes and relaxes the spinal nerves – Bending ahead in Shashankasana stretches the paravertebral postural muscular tissues that help your again. It helps open the intervertebral foramina, which helps relieve stress on the spinal nerves. It can be useful for spondylitis.
- Beneficial for irritable bowel syndrome – Regular follow of Shashankasana will increase gastric exercise in practitioners together with elevated parasympathetic exercise. Such a metamorphosis advantages irritable bowel syndrome.
- Activate Solar Plexus and Third Eye Chakra – Pressure on the stomach and brow touching the bottom drives the delicate energies via Nadis (delicate channels) to those factors within the physique; that results in Activation of the photo voltaic plexus and third eye chakra when achieved every day.
- Stretches and strengthens numerous muscular tissues – Bending over and returning to the upright place with out hand help Extend the decrease again, hips, higher physique, interior thighs, and abs intensely. This strategy strengthens the postural muscular tissues.
- Invigorates the reproductive system – Pressure on the stomach has a therapeutic massage impact on the reproductive organs. This improves their capabilities and solves issues. However, it is usually useful with gynecological ailments
- Overcome weight problems – Shashankasana induces digestive fires, which results in an improved metabolism. This will additional burn off the surplus fats out of your abdomen, waist, hips, and interior thighs. How to Overcome Obesity.
- Reduces stress and nervousness – In Shashankasana, the simultaneous compression of the legs (venous blood) and stomach (pushes blood from the spleen, liver) with deep inhalation will increase the venous provide of the center; finally on the pinnacle and neck. It calms the mind;; Hence, too helps Overcome stress and worry. Through the follow of Shashankasana, our our bodies are much less more likely to react to cortisol hormone, which is an indication of a lower in indicators of psychological well being (stress, nervousness, anger, and many others.).