Image supply: Shutterstock
Ardha baddha padmottanasana is a mixture of two traditional poses, i.e. H. Ardha padmottanasana and uttanasana. It's about holding one leg in your hand and bending ahead whereas standing.
His english identify, Half-tied lotus that bends ahead expresses its literal translation. Sometimes known as Standing semi-tied lotus pose.
It's one of many standing steadiness poses. It acts as a stretch exercise for the legs, hamstrings, decrease again, hips, and neck.
Ardha baddha padmottanasana entails reversing, balancing and bending on the identical time, which makes it slightly difficult. The problem means that that is a sophisticated pose.
Meaning and interpretation
Ardha baddha padmottanasana comes from Sanskrit. His identify has six Sanskrit phrases as follows:
- "Ardha" means "half"
- "Baddha" means "bound"
- "Padma" is "Lotus"
- "Ut" refers to "intense"
- "Tan" is "Stretch"
- "Asana" means "pose"
The root phrases contained in its identify make clear all of the actions related to the pose. In quick, this pose assaults your entire physique.
During the Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana observe;
- A leg is purchased like legs within the lotus pose after which locked with one hand from behind – Ardha Baddha Padma
- Next, the higher physique is folded from the hips down to at least one standing leg – Padmottanasana.
In this place, steadiness should be maintained on a standing leg. As a end result, folks expertise an intensive stretching of the hip, quad and calf muscle tissues.
Ardha baddha padmottanasana strengthens and stretches the legs, backbone and shoulders. It stimulates the crown chakra because of the inverted place of the top. In addition, the stomach organs are activated by the stress on the stomach cavity.
Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana observe handbook
Image supply: Canva
To do the Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana, undergo the next factors;
Precautions and Contraindications
- Last harm – Do not do Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana you probably have an injured knee, hip, or shoulder. The pose concerned intense stretches, and any extra stress can have critical results on the harm.
- High blood stress – Avoid the pose you probably have hypertension as the guts is underneath excessive stress within the ahead bend.
- Glaucoma – Patients with glaucoma should keep away from the Ardha baddha padmottanasana.
- A headache – It just isn’t really useful to carry out the pose with a heavy head, particularly for migraines.
- Diarrhea – Never do that asana with an upset abdomen.
- Do not push the physique past its potential. It's at all times higher to push the boundaries with time and observe.
- Do it underneath professional steerage.
- Head-to-knee pose (Janu Sirsasana)
- One-legged royal pigeon conserving (Eka Pada Rajakapotasana)
- Standing ahead fold (Uttanasana)
How To Do Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana (Steps)
Image supply: Shutterstock
- Start standing in Tadasana.
- Inhale and raise your proper leg to steadiness the burden in your left leg.
- Hold the folded proper foot along with your left hand and twist your proper thigh outward.
- Tuck your proper heel into the decrease stomach subsequent to your navel
- Circle your proper hand round your again and attain your proper large toe.
- Exhale and bend ahead at hip peak.
- Place your left hand on the ground subsequent to the standing ground.
- Distribute your physique weight evenly between your left foot and left hand.
- Look ahead to some extent and take a deep breath.
- Exhale and convey your head in direction of your knees, touching your chin to your shin.
- Hold the pose for 5-6 breaths.
- Take a breath and be blissful, keep there a second.
- Exhale slowly and keep there for 2 seconds.
- Release your proper hand and maintain your proper foot along with your left hand.
- Unfold your proper knee and convey it to the ground.
- Relax in Tadasana. Repeat the identical along with your left foot.
Tips for novices
- To preserve steadiness in Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana, begin with the tree pose first after which undertaking your raised foot onto the decrease stomach.
- Follow the modifications beneath to handle the flexibleness points.
- Don't push your self to carry your large toe. You can begin grabbing the elbow by wrapping the alternate hand round your again.
Follow up poses
Modifications and props
- With a yoga strap – Wrap the raised foot with a strap. Now, in the event you put your hand round your again as a substitute of grabbing your raised toe, you may maintain the strap.
- Use a block – You can place a block subsequent to your standing foot and place your palm over it whereas leaning ahead.
Use these variations to deepen the pose to proceed in Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana.
- Perform the pose with out placing a hand in your again to carry your large toe. When you bend ahead, place each arms on the ground.
- Perform ardha baddha padmottanasana along with your arms within the prayer place. Here the folded foot stays on the decrease stomach, hook it there with angled ahead. When you might be midway by, be part of your palms collectively and preserve your backbone parallel to the ground.
Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana Benefits
1. Improves flexibility
It's a deep stretching pose. Hips, hamstrings, ankles, shoulders and arms are stretched. The stretching of the muscle tissues makes them versatile.
2. Improved digestion
While bending ahead in Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana, the folded foot touches the stomach. It creates stress and contracts the stomach organs. This stimulates the functioning of the digestive organs, on which they secrete digestive juices. It additionally eliminates gastric issues.
3. Makes respiratory simpler
Standing semi-tied lotus pose expands and opens the chest when the hand holds the toe from behind. It helps within the growth of the respiratory organs and thereby improves the functioning of the airways.
4. Increases focus
By sustaining the steadiness within the ahead bend, the foundation chakra (Muladhara) is activated. It has been proven within the college students that practising this pose persistently will increase their steadiness, focus and focus in them. This additionally improves self-confidence.
5. Benefits of the sacral chakra
Since the stomach cavity can also be concerned within the pose, it additionally stimulates the sacral chakra. It improves the physician's emotional well being in addition to the reproductive system.
6. Stimulates the nervous system
During the Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana, the top is uncovered to gravity. It will increase blood circulate to the top and brings oxygen to the mind cells. This leaves a chilled and calming impact on the nervous system.
No matter how intimidating Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana appears, it presents a number of advantages. This makes the pose value making an attempt. You may also do that pose with easy modifications and variations to get the identical advantages.
Also, it rejuvenates the human physique extremely because the pose is a mixture of two asanas. It makes the pose extra alluring and useful.