Image supply: Canva
Chaturanga Dandasana is a major element of Ashtanga, Vinyasa and Power Yoga. It can be identified by its different title, viz. Four-bar posture, low plank and Chaturanga Yogasana.
It is a balancing pose for inexperienced persons that’s carried out within the susceptible place. To preserve this posture, the physique is balanced straight and parallel to the ground.
The posture of the four-limbed employees can be a part of the favored yoga sequence Sun salutation. The power and stability required for the pose type the premise for different poses within the solar salutation sequence.
Meaning and interpretation
Chaturanga dandasana has 4 primary Sanskrit phrases. "Chatur" means "four", "Anga" means "limbs", "Danda" is "staff or support", and "Asana" refers to "pose".
The title of the asana reveals its which means. In Chaturanga dandasana the physique is on the 4 limbs, i.e. H. Two palms and toes of each toes, balanced. To maintain the pose, the elbows have to be bent 90 levels alongside the physique. The time period "danda" or "stick" refers back to the backbone because the central assist system that’s fully straight on this posture. Unlike Dandasana, the Chaturanga pose in yoga particularly focuses on the alignment of the backbone.
By difficult the physique stability, posture strengthens the Muscles of arms, wrists and stomach. The pose additionally improves posture because it includes and strengthens the backbone, the physique's central assist system.
Chaturanga Dandasana train guide
Please observe the factors under to observe Chaturanga Dandasana safely and simply.
- Keep the posture with the right alignment of the physique.
- Maintain a pointy 90 diploma angle between your higher arms and forearms.
- Stop the pose in the event you really feel uncomfortable about your shoulder or backbone.
- Performing these poses just isn’t beneficial within the occasion of an damage to the again, shoulder, or hand.
- Do not observe this asana within the later months of being pregnant.
- People with carpal tunnel syndrome should keep away from practising Chaturanga Dandasana.
How To Do Chaturanga Dandasana (Steps)
- Start by sitting in Vajrasana.
- Step ahead along with your fingers, straighten your legs, and attain the plank place.
- Make certain you retain your fingers underneath your shoulders.
- Curl your toes, stability your physique in your toes and fingers. Keep trying ahead.
- Exhale and bend your elbows and press your palms on the ground.
- Bring your shoulders to the extent of your bent elbows.
- Hold the pose for 10-20 seconds and maintain respiratory.
- Exhale and produce the physique again into the total plank place. Inhale.
- Now exhale, bend your knees and stroll in the direction of you along with your fingers.
- Sit again in Vajrasana and chill out.
Tips for inexperienced persons
- Do it by reducing your knees to the ground. Later, convey your torso nearer to the ground, holding your torso an inch or two aside.
- Keep your core busy and don't lose your stomach to the bottom.
- Keeping your physique parallel to the ground, avoiding the tendency to raise your hips whereas sustaining the pose.
Follow up poses
- Downward Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
- Upward Facing Dog Pose (Urdhva Mukha Svanasana)
Modifications and props
- Yoga Blocks – Do Chaturanga Dandasana whereas taking assist from the blocks. You can maintain two blocks underneath your shoulders to assist maintain their stage. You also can put a block underneath your sternum or abdomen to maintain your physique parallel to the ground.
- Neck roll – The pad will also be used to assist the higher physique. Lay it underneath you, perpendicularly out of your chest to your abdomen.
- Yoga Strap – Use a strap by making a loop of it with a width that matches your shoulders. Pull your arms between the loop and produce the loop as much as your elbows. The strap ensures that your fingers keep underneath your shoulders.
Three-legged chatrunga. Image supply: Canva
- Chaturanga Dandasana variation – Start with the plank place and drop your knees on the ground earlier than coming down. Now increase your heels in the direction of the ceiling. Bring your shoulders to elbow peak and maintain your higher arms perpendicular to your forearms. Keep the pose.
- Double chaturanga It begins with a excessive board, and whenever you press your palms on the ground, your shoulders are dropped at elbow stage. Then come up on the excessive plank and press the palms once more to convey the shoulders to elbow stage.
- Three-legged Chaturanga After you attain the excessive plank, raise one leg and raise your toes off the ground. Now bend each elbows by 90 °. This makes one of many variations of Chaturanga Dandasana.
- Knee-to-arm chaturanga Come to the plank pose and raise your proper toes off the ground, bending your knee barely. Now convey the bent knee to the appropriate higher arm. Then bend your elbows 90 levels and decrease your shoulders to your elbows.
- Chaturanga Dandasana toes in opposition to a wall– In this variant, the group is held in entrance of a wall. Bend your elbows 90 levels by pointing your fingers up in entrance of your ribs. Bring your fingers ahead in opposition to the wall and lean ahead, very like doing a triceps push-up on the wall.
Chaturanga Dandasana advantages
1. Strengthens the muscle groups
Regular observe of Chaturanga Dandasana strengthens the muscle groups. It's about balancing the physique on the arms. This prompts and strengthens the muscle groups of the shoulders, arms, chest, neck and higher again.
These muscle groups contract as you maintain the pose and regularly grow to be robust and taut. It additionally improves blood circulation within the higher physique.
2. Improves posture
In the asana, the physique is balanced and saved parallel to the ground. Keep your again upright in the course of the pose. Regular observe of the pose improves the form of the backbone and higher again, which corrects posture.
3. Builds stamina
In addition to the arms and toes, the physique can be balanced by the stomach muscle groups in Chaturanga Dandasana. This includes the muscle groups of the core to maintain the physique parallel to the ground. It strengthens the core and will increase endurance.
4. Increases flexibility
There is one essential step in bringing the physique into this posture; H. Bending the elbows. It shifts weight to the forearms. This finally makes the elbows and wrist versatile and will increase their power.
5. Improves digestion
Along with the contraction of the stomach muscle groups, when the core is concerned within the pose, it stimulates the digestive organs. This improves the functioning of the digestive system and improves digestion.
6. Improves respiratory
This pose includes exercising the chest muscle groups. It tightens and expands the chest cavity and strengthens the intercostal muscle groups. This makes the airway simpler and improves respiratory.
7. Lengthen the backbone
The pose includes pulling the higher physique ahead. This elongates and expands the muscle groups of the backbone. It additionally stretches the muscle groups round your neck. Hence, it helps in lengthening the backbone.
Try Chaturanga Dandasana together with its variations to discover its well being advantages.
Use this primary yoga pose to tone your muscle groups and physique, and enhance your physique and put together for challenges.