Image supply: Canva
Tolasana is a raised variant of the essential lotus pose. It belongs to the class of balancing posture, wherein the physique weight is balanced on the arms. Lifting your physique off the ground to realize the tolasana is sort of a problem.
Hence, it’s an intermediate stage of yoga posture. It is usually known as a scale pose or a stability pose. People additionally use the next names to consult with this pose: Tulasana, Dolasana, Uthita Padmasana, Elevated Lotus Pose, or Swing Pose.
Tolasana goals to stretch the muscle tissue of the arms, thighs, and hamstrings. It additionally strengthens the shoulders, wrists, abdomen, again, and hips.
Meaning and interpretation
The title "Tolasana" is derived from Sanskrit, the place "Tola" refers to "scale / balance" and "Asana" means "pose".
In order to realize this pose, the practitioner should start with padmasana. Later the complete physique is lifted off the ground and the arms are pressed onto the ground. In the final pose, the physique swings between the arms. It resembles the Libra and subsequently the title.
Due to the balancing nature of this asana, it improves the stability between physique and thoughts. It presents bodily advantages reminiscent of strengthening the core, arms, and shoulders.
Tolasana train handbook
Image supply: Canva
Precautions and Contraindications
- Do not do a tolasana with an harm to your wrists, arms, or shoulders.
- Avoid performing the asana whereas menstruating.
- Avoid it if in case you have hypertension.
- People with acute osteoporosis or osteoarthritis ought to keep away from this posture.
- Lotus Pose (Padmasana)
- Hero Pose (Virasana)
- Bound Angle Pose (Baddha Konasana)
- Sit in your mat together with your legs outstretched; H. Dandasana.
- Use your palms to tug your proper foot in your left thigh and your left foot in your proper thigh. Keep them nearer to your hip joint.
- Make positive your heels are dealing with up.
- Keep your palms by your sides together with your palms touching the ground.
- Straighten your backbone and carry your abs.
- Press your palms on the ground, carry your trunk and hop off the ground.
- Look forward.
- Hold the pose for 3-5 breaths.
- Exhale and gently decrease your hips and knees to the ground.
- Release your legs and repeat the asana crossing your legs within the different route.
- When you hit the ground, launch your legs and straighten them ahead.
- Relax in Dandasana and launch pressure in your arms.
Tips for rookies
- Make positive you might be acquainted with the Padmasana earlier than beginning the Tolasana.
- As a newbie, you possibly can follow the pose with Ardha Padmasana. The solely limitation is that solely the buttocks are lifted off the ground. However, the decrease leg and exterior calf muscle tissue stay on the ground.
- Yoga Blocks – Keep a block below every hand for the additional size for the arms. This makes lifting the legs a bit simpler.
Follow up poses
- Corpsing (Savasana)
- Crocodile pose (Makarasana)
- Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
- Lolasana – In this posture, the practitioner first sits in Vajrasana, crossing their ankles and putting their hips on their heels. Later the physique is lifted off the ground by urgent the palms of the palms on the ground. This variant is appropriate for many who can’t obtain Padmasana.
- kukkutasana – In this variation of tolasana, arms are inserted between the thighs after which the physique is lifted off the bottom on palms in an analogous method to this.
- Another variation is performing Tulasana by sitting in a half lotus pose. This variant is appropriate initially.
- Tolasana could be achieved by sitting in sukhasana as a substitute of padmasana after which lifting the physique with the arms.
Image supply: Canva
1. Increases power
The complete physique weight is balanced on the arms. It makes the muscle tissue of the shoulders, palms, and wrists stronger. Tolasana trains the biceps, triceps and brachioradialis of the arms.
In addition to the arms, the core muscle tissue are additionally used when holding the pose. It trains the stomach muscle tissue and makes them agency. This will increase the power of the core.
2. Increases flexibility
The muscle tissue of the shoulder, arms and wrist are deeply stretched. The hip and leg muscle tissue are additionally affected. Holding the pose stretches the outer hip and leg muscle tissue. Thus, Tulasana will increase the pliability of the hip flexors, ankles and wrists.
There is a supportive research that reveals that Tolasana improves flexibility within the physique.
3. Better digestion
With the involvement of the stomach muscle tissue, the stomach organs are additionally skilled. This stimulates the capabilities of the digestive organs and helps in bettering the digestive system.
4. Offers energetic advantages
Tolasana additionally prompts and balances the physique chakras. It consists of the stimulation of the Muladhara (root chakra), Svadhisthana (sacral chakra) and Manipura chakra (photo voltaic plexus chakra).
This leaves the practitioner with an enhanced and energetic persona. It strengthens the down-to-earth method, creativity and self-confidence. This additionally helps enhance emotional well being.
5. Improve stability and consciousness
Tolasana engages within the Uddiyana Bandha (upwardly directed stomach lock) and the Mula Bandha (root lock). This will assist hold your stability because the Uddiyana bandha will assist carry the trunk off the ground. Similarly, the mula bandha helps enhance the sensation of connectedness and stability.
6. Relieves stress and nervousness
With an elevated stage of self-confidence, the physician can meditate for lengthy hours. This follow calms the thoughts and physique by eradicating toxins from the physique. This makes psychological well being simpler. Hence, it reduces and relieves all psychological issues like stress, nervousness.