Image supply: Canva
Simhasana is a primary sitting yoga posture. It is popularly recognized by the English title of Lion Pose. It is a singular asana for novices. The practitioner has to make a sound like a lion whereas holding the pose.
It goals to stretch and strengthen the muscle mass of the backbone, wrists, quadriceps, and knees.
Simhasana has a chilled impact on the eyes, ears, nostril, throat and mouth. It is helpful in decreasing frustration and emotional stress. This asana helps in delaying getting older.
Meaning and interpretation
Simhasana is his Sanskrit title with two primary phrases: "Simha" means "lion" and "Asana" is "pose". The asana additionally requires the practitioner to make a roaring sound.
It is carried out with seats in your knees and palms. The practitioner has to open his mouth and stick out his tongue. When exhaling deeply, the yogi creates the roar.
The ultimate stance together with the sound resembles a roaring lion, therefore the title. It is a strong asana for enhancing speech defects like stuttering and growing a transparent voice. It additionally helps in decreasing stress and frustration.
Simhasana train handbook
Image supply: Canva
Precautions and Contraindications
- If you’ve got weak wrists, do a Simhasana Asana sitting in Vajrasana. Do not put your arms on the ground.
- Do not apply this asana for greater than three minutes.
- Never apply Simhasana with a damaged or injured knee or ankle.
- Avoid doing this asana with an damage to the face, neck, or tongue.
How to Do Simhasana (Steps)
- Start by sitting in Vajrasana.
- Spread your knees extensive aside and hold the toes of each toes in order that they’re touching.
- Bring your palms on the ground between your knees.
- Rotate your fingertips towards you and produce your wrist outward.
- Maintain the integrity of the backbone and hold your chest open.
- Shift your physique weight in your wrists and pull your head again.
- Close your eyes and keep there to make your self snug.
- Open your eyes and focus your gaze on the middle of the eyebrows.
- Inhale slowly and deeply, then stick your tongue out in the direction of your chin as you exhale.
- As you exhale, make a sound of "aah" out of your throat.
- Keep your mouth closed as you breathe out.
- Repeat the respiratory course of with the sound 3-5 instances.
- To let go, elevate your palms off the ground and produce your knees collectively.
- Keep your hand in your knees and calm down in Vajrasana.
Tips for novices
- As you attain the pose, unfold your shoulder blades throughout your again whereas urgent your arms on the ground. This opens the chest and helps elevate the center.
- Try the variation by sitting in poses like Sukhasana or Vajrasana, whichever is snug for you.
Follow up poses
Modifications & Props
- Yoga block – If you’ve got issue in sitting the pose. Put a block below your hips and simply sit in Vajrasana to do Simhasana.
- Chair – If you discover it tough to carry out this pose on the ground, it’s endorsed that you just apply it on the chair.
- Simhasana may be finished in Sukhasana.
- Another variation is that as an alternative of being in Vajrasana, you may stability your physique in your toes and put your arms in your knees. The additional steps may be adopted.
- Simhasana Variation II – Start right here by sitting in Padmasana. Then switch your physique weight to the palms of your arms and transfer ahead. Go ahead till you might be in your knees along with your palms turned inward. Then start to inhale and exhale along with your tongue out.
- Lion pose arms below the legs – You can even add selection to the simhasana by inserting your arms below your legs as an alternative of holding them between your knees.
Image supply: Shutterstock
1. Calms the thoughts
Simhasana helps calm and calm the thoughts. The roar related to the exhale helps launch destructive ideas and power. This reduces emotional stress and frustration. It additionally improves temper swings and resilience.
2. Delays the results of getting older
It entails exercising the facial muscle mass. This is helpful in eradicating wrinkles and tautening the pores and skin of the face. It improves the blood circulation within the faces and has a rejuvenating impact.
There is a scientific research that exhibits that together with Simhasana in your routine helps delay the getting older course of.
3. Prevents unhealthy breath
The asana advantages the airways. It prevents the respiratory tract from changing into contaminated. This finally prevents the practitioner from eliminating unhealthy breath.
4. Improves the language dysfunction
The tongue, throat, and vocal cords are severely affected whereas performing Simhasana. It helps in curing speech issues like stuttering, stuttering, and lisp. It additionally helps in growing a transparent and tight voice.
5. Soothing impact on the eyes
In order to carry the ultimate place, one should deal with one level. This will assist relieve stinging eyes and cut back eye pressure.
6. Improves digestion
The respiratory concerned within the pose contracts, releasing the stomach muscle mass. This stimulates the functioning of the digestive system.
7. Activates the power locks
Simhasana helps hold practitioners away from sickness because it stimulates three necessary energetic limitations of the physique, also called bandhas, in yoga. It consists of mula (root lock), jalandhara (neck lock), and uddiyana (stomach lock) bandhas.