Image supply: Canva
Gorakshasana is a sitting balancing place. It is an intermediate stage yoga posture that’s typically practiced for meditation. It can also be identified by the title Goraknath pose or Cowherd pose.
In Gorakshasana, all the physique weight is balanced on the toes, so the physician wants an ample quantity of flexibility within the decrease legs and toes.
Gorakshanasana helps the yogis to enhance their posture. Regularly training the asana builds the behavior of sitting upright and advantages the backbone and decrease again.
The time period Gorakshasana consists of three Sanskrit phrases. Here "go" refers to "cow", "raksha" means "protector" and "asana" means "pose". The pose is most well-liked for meditation. His title is related to Lord Shiva as he’s known as each lord of cattle and lord of meditation.
Yogic texts additionally present that it was named after the good yogi Goraksanath, the founding father of Nath Yoga custom. He meditated on this posture. According to him, it’s helpful to extend the mental stage.
Practice sitting along with your knees bent and your heels bandaged. The physique is then balanced on the toes. It places strain on the muscle groups of the ankle and toes, making them versatile. It additionally stimulates the sacral chakra and will increase sexual power.
Gorakshasana train handbook
Image supply: Canva
The Gorakshasana process is described in medieval hatha yoga texts resembling Hatha Yoga Pradipika and Gheranda Samhita. It is one in all 32 asanas by Gheranda Samhita and Master Gheranda talked about this pose as;
Rotate each toes up between your knees and thighs. Hide the knuckles along with your fingers turned up. Pull your neck collectively and preserve your eyesight on the tip of your nostril. That is Gorakshasana.
Precautions and Contraindications
- Do not hump whereas holding the pose.
- While you might be within the pose and maintain the cowherd pose, your shoulders needs to be relaxed.
- Avoid training Gorakshasana if there are issues with the toes and leg joints.
- If you’ve knee ache, don’t observe this asana.
- People with sciatica and different decrease backbone ache mustn’t observe Gorakshasana.
- Sit on the ground in Padmasana.
- Extend your arms ahead and place them on the ground.
- Raise your trunk and raise your hips off the ground.
- Keep your torso straight and stand along with your knees.
- Straighten your thighs and raise your fingers off the ground one after the other.
- Maintain steadiness and the integrity of the backbone.
- Connect your fingers in entrance of your chest in a prayer place.
- Stay in place so long as you possibly can comfortably maintain it.
- Now place your fingers on the ground and convey your hips to the ground.
- Let go of your legs and now change the leg place.
- Repeat for a similar period.
Follow up poses
According to Gorakshasna, one ought to observe pranayama and any mudra as a complementary asana.
Modification and props
- Beginners can observe Gorakshasana by holding their toes in baddha konasana with bandaged heels. Place them horizontally beneath the perineum, then sit in your toes.
- Against a wall – The pose is carried out in opposition to a wall to assist and preserve steadiness. Only take assist from behind whereas holding the pose.
- Yoga Blocks – Place the yoga blocks vertically in entrance of you. If you stand in your knees and observe the Padmasana, you possibly can preserve your toes on the blocks.
- Once steadiness is maintained, the joined fingers could be raised overhead. This stretches the backbone and makes the pose a bit extra superior.
- Bhadrasana – In this variation, the toes are joined by bringing the heels collectively close to the perineum. The hips are lifted off the ground and the practitioner sits on his toes. The fingers are positioned on the toes.
1. Improves steadiness
In Gorakshasana, posture is about sustaining the integrity of the physique because the physique is totally balanced on the knees. This asana retains the backbone and thighs straight with the folded toes and creates steadiness.
2. Improves the flexibleness of the tailbone
The full Gorakshasana pose entails stretching the tailbone. It will increase its elasticity and makes it extra versatile. In addition, it helps with Walking, working and defecating. It additionally advantages the pelvic muscle groups.
3. Strengthens the leg muscle groups
Goraksasana supplies flexibility to the leg muscle groups by stretching them intensely. It additionally improves the elasticity and power of the leg joints. It presents tighter and stronger legs.
4. Activate Kundalini
Goraksasana stimulates Kundalini and helps awakening. It distributes the power all through the physique chakra and stops the ageing course of. This makes the practitioner energetic and relaxes the thoughts. This additionally improves focus and brings a way of full consciousness.
5. Stimulates sexual power
This asana strengthens the reproductive organs and improves their perform. This prompts the sexual organs and maintains sexual well being.
6. Better digestion
Gorakshasana trains the belly organs by bettering blood move to the decrease stomach. This advantages the digestive organs. It has therapeutic results in opposition to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and gastritis.
Practicing Gorakshasana is helpful in some ways. In addition to the above advantages, all the advantages related to Padmasana are additionally accessible via his observe.
Try the pose for loads of well being advantages.