Image supply: Canva
Ardha baddha padma paschimottanasana is an intensely sedentary ahead bend pose that capabilities as a hip opener. It is a complicated posture that has properties of Ardha Padmasana together with Paschimottanasana.
This pose goals to stretch the muscle groups of your neck, backbone, hamstrings, and quadriceps. It acts as a flexibility improver within the knee and hip joints. In addition, the ahead fold stimulates the stomach organs to enhance their effectivity.
This asymmetrical stretching place is included within the main sequence of Ashtanga Yoga.
Ardha baddha padma paschimottanasana means the title of the variant of two traditional poses – Ardha baddha padmasana + paschimottanasana.
- Ardha means "half"
- "Baddha" means "bound"
- "Padma" is "Lotus"
- "Paschim" refers to "West" (down right here within the again)
- "Uttana" is "intensive stretching"
- "Asana" means "pose"
In this pose, one leg is held within the half lotus pose place (Ardha Padmasana), the place the lotus leg is locked behind the again (Baddha) by the identical aspect hand. In this pose, the trunk is bent ahead, identical to in paschimottanasana. It can be referred to as semi-tied lotus ahead bend pose.
These fundamental phrases higher describe the pose with the intention to perceive its which means. The deep stretches whereas respiratory additionally calm the nervous system and relieve fatigue, stress, and nervousness.
Ardha Baddha Padma Paschimottanasana apply handbook
Image supply: Canva
Precautions and Contraindications
- Do not apply this asana in case you have an damage in and across the kneecaps, shoulders, neck, again, hips, and ribs.
- Avoid ardha baddha padma paschimottanasana on a disc.
- Do not apply the pose throughout being pregnant or menstruation.
- First Master Paschimottanasana, then go deep into this pose.
- Do not bend your again or bend your knee as you fold ahead.
Ardha Baddha Padma Paschimottanasana steps
- Start sitting in Dandasana.
- Bend your left knee.
- Place your left foot in your higher proper thigh, ensuring that your left knee is touching the ground.
- Pull your left hand again and wrap it round your waist.
- Try to seize your left foot together with your left hand.
- Relax your shoulders, take a breath, and lift your proper head.
- Exhale and bend your proper hand ahead to your proper foot.
- Touch your chin in your proper shin and preserve wanting down at your toes or nostril.
- Hold the pose and take 5 deep breaths.
- Inhale and lift your chin and physique to the middle.
- Exhale, decrease your proper arm to 1 aspect and let go of your left foot.
- Extend each legs and repeat the identical with alternately bending the legs.
- Then chill out in Dandasana.
Tips for rookies
- Bring your bent knee inward in order that the toes attain the hip fold and the knee touches the ground.
- If you may't attain your toe by placing your palms behind you, increase your hand first, then twist it round your shoulder so far as doable. This opens the shoulder and makes reaching the foot achievable.
- Make positive you retain your chin in your shin and never your brow. This additionally helps forestall backbone misalignment.
- Forward Bend with Three Limbs (Trianga Mukhaikapada Paschimottanasana)
- Head and knee pose (Janu Sirsasana)
Try these props to make the ahead bend simpler in semi-tied lotus pose to alter the bottom pose.
- Yoga block – Place a yoga block underneath the bent knee to help the foot on the alternate thigh. It adjusts the foot in order that the ankle doesn't trouble you once you lean ahead.
- Yoga strap – After putting it on the thigh, wrap a strap across the foot. Take it by bringing your hand from behind as an alternative of holding your foot. It helps when you may't attain your foot.
Ardha Baddha Padma Paschimottanasana advantages
1. Increases flexibility
This asana includes increasing the muscle groups of the backbone, hips, and legs. It stretches the knee and shoulder joints and improves blood circulation in these areas. It makes the muscle stronger and will increase its elasticity.
2. Facilitates digestion
The ahead bending within the posture causes the stomach organs to contract. It stimulates the perform of the pancreas, liver and abdomen. This helps enhance the effectivity of the digestive system.
Ardha baddha padma paschimottanasana has therapeutic results on digestive issues comparable to constipation, abdomen issues, and many others.
3. Solution towards weight problems
It helps digest fat by stimulating liver perform. This in the end advantages the metabolic charge. It can be an important exercise for inner organs and muscle groups. This will tone the physique by burning the additional physique fats.
4. Increases immunity
Ardha baddha padma paschiottanasana has a deep affect on the spleen because the heel is tucked into the stomach when leaning ahead. This prompts the functioning of the spleen, thereby enhancing the physician's immunity.
5. Stimulates the uterus and ovaries
The advantages of this asana are its impression on the uterus and ovaries. It improves its capabilities by enhancing hormonal stability. Hence, Ardha Baddha Padma Paschiottanasana is helpful for sustaining the well being of the feminine reproductive system.
It additionally works as a treatment for relieving menstrual cramps and menopausal signs.
6. Therapeutic impact
In addition to stimulating the stomach organs, the kidneys additionally profit from training Ardha Baddha Padma Paschiottanasana. This helps to enhance the hormonal stability and inner cleaning of the physique.
Plus, it helps in sustaining the physician's blood strain and likewise prevents diabetes. People with insomnia additionally discover it helpful to enhance their sleep patterns.