Image supply: Shutterstock
Janu sirsasana is an asymmetrical ahead bend pose that includes stretching and twisting. It belongs to the first Ashtanga yoga sequence and a pose for newbies.
It can be identified by the various different names like; Head-to-knee, head-to-knee ahead bend, or seated head-to-knee posture.
The most important goal muscular tissues on this pose are the neck, decrease again, hips, and hamstrings.
Janu Sirsasana which means
In Janu Sirsasana "Janu" means "knee", "Sirsa" refers to "head" and Asana means pose.
During this pose, the trunk is bent ahead in order that within the last posture the top touches the knee, therefore the identify Janu-sirs-asana. It includes ahead bending, twisting, and lateral stretching of the physique. The ahead bend is related to the creation of self-reflection.
It brings interior peace and tranquility and is due to this fact practiced as restorative pose. The related stretches carry flexibility to the backbone, groin and hamstrings.
Janu Sirsasana Exercise Manual
Image supply: Canva
The pose could be very simple to carry out. Before beginning the January Sirsasana observe, it’s a good suggestion to evaluation what security measures are required and in what state they need to be prevented.
Precautions and Contraindications
- Patients with bronchial asthma shouldn’t observe Janu Sirsasana.
- Do not do that asana you probably have diarrhea.
- Avoid placing weight on an injured knee by bending it totally to do Janu Sirsasana.
- Don't observe you probably have a decrease again harm or a herniated disc.
- Use the pelvic muscular tissues, after which the spinal muscular tissues, as you bend ahead.
- Stretch to a restrict that’s comfy so that you can keep away from harm. Do not rush to attain the pose by clasping your toe.
How To Do Janu Sirsasana (Steps)
- Start by sitting in Dandasana.
- Bring the only real of your proper foot towards you by bending your knee.
- Let the heel of your proper foot contact the perineum and preserve your left leg prolonged ahead.
- Inhale, elevate your fingers above your head.
- As you exhale, bend ahead and grasp your left toe together with your fingers.
- As you proceed to exhale, bend your trunk ahead and produce your head to your left knee.
- Hold the pose for 30-60 seconds and take a deep breath.
- Inhale and elevate your head, elevate your torso and put your arms over you.
- Exhale and pull your fingers to your sides and straighten your proper leg.
- Relax for just a few seconds after which repeat the identical step, bending your left leg.
Tips for newbies
- Don't let your folded foot slide underneath the prolonged leg. Press it towards the interior bar and preserve it energetic.
- Make positive you may see the only real of the curved leg.
Follow up poses
Modifications and props
Janu Sirsasana modification with strap. Image supply: Canva
To scale back the problem of bending ahead in Janu Sirsasana, you should use the next props:
- Ceiling – Place a folded blanket underneath your hips whereas performing the asana. It prevents the decrease again from rounded when leaning ahead and makes it simpler to tilt the pelvis ahead.
- Yoga strap – Wrap a yoga strap across the balls of your straight foot and maintain it in place as you bend ahead. It will increase the stretching of the thigh muscular tissues whereas elongating the backbone.
- Pillow – Place a pillow / folded blanket underneath the curved leg. It superficially touches the knees on the ground and helps the knees and ankles.
- Janu sirsasana B. – (Keep your proper leg bent): In this variation, the pelvis rests on the highest of your bent knee-heel. After bending ahead, grasp your left wrist across the sole of your left foot together with your proper hand as an alternative of your massive toe.
- Janu sirsasana C. – This is the place the bent foot is turned outwards in order that the toes contact the bottom whereas the heel is over the toes. Make positive the ankle is bent. When you bend ahead, the heel finally touches the navel. The place of the fingers stays the identical as in Janu sirsasana B.
- Parivrtta Janu Sirsasana Pose – (When the left leg is stretched out): The left hand grasps the left massive toe, leans ahead and touches the elbow with the ground. The proper arm then additionally reaches the left foot, which extends over the top. In the top place, the top lies between the 2 arms.
- One hand on knee variation – Keep your proper knee bent and your left hand resting in your proper knee. However, the fitting hand grasps the left massive toe by leaning ahead.
January Sirsasana advantages
1. Provides power and adaptability
Janu sirsasana is the most effective pose for deeply stretching the muscular tissues. The neck, shoulders, backbone, thighs, stomach muscular tissues and groin are stretched. Everyone is concerned through the ahead bend.
The deep stretch improves flexibility and strengthens the muscular tissues.
2. Improves digestion
The stomach muscular tissues are concerned in ahead bending. These muscular tissues expertise immense stress that produces stress hormones. The stress additionally massages the stomach organs, thus enhancing the effectivity of the digestive system.
3. Maintains hormonal stability
The stress on the muscular tissues stimulates numerous organs such because the kidney, liver, pancreas, spleen and uterus. It improves hormone secretion. This additionally helps with the detox course of.
4. Stimulates the reproductive system
The reproductive organs are additionally stimulated by their observe. Along with this, it relieves menstrual cramps and reduces menopausal signs.
It can be useful in curing impotence in males.
5. Better respiration
Holding the ultimate posture requires sluggish, deep respiration. It helps in increasing the chest and lungs. It additionally provides the diaphragm with contemporary blood. It finally improves the airway.
6. Relieves psychological problems
It's a soothing pose. It calms the thoughts by eradicating psychological blocks. Janu sirsasana helps eradicate fatigue, insomnia and nervousness. It's even useful in curing gentle despair.
According to a examine, Janu Sirsasana works as a stress reliever and lifts temper.