Image supply: Canva
In yoga, the form of our digestive system is taken into account to be a clam (shankha), which has a protracted spiral-shaped tunnel-like gut, and prakshalana is known as purification in Sanskrit. Shankhaprakshalana is a yogic cleaning strategy of the digestive system together with your entire gastrointestinal tract (mouth to anus).
Unlike different yogic cleaning methods the place an individual drinks sufficient water after which breaks it, ingesting lukewarm salt water in Shankhaprakshalana is adopted by a exact collection of asanas. This collection of asanas is specifically named Shankhaprakshalana asanas.
The conventional identify for this follow is varisara dhauti. In Sanskrit, "vari" means "water", "Sara" refers to "essence" and "dhauti" means "purification".
According to Gheranda Samhita, the follow supplies a glowing physique by eradicating toxins from the physique.
The most important objective of Shankha Prakshalana is to encourage bowel actions naturally with out treatment and uncomfortable side effects.
It additionally serves as an integral a part of an Ayurvedic method often called Kaya Kalpa. It could be understood as a bodily transformation, since "Kaya" means physique and "Kalpa" is a time period for transformation.
Hence, Shankha Prakshalana is greater than a purification method. It is a holistic method to eradicating impurities that’s useful for bodily and psychological well being.
Mechanism of Shankhaprakshalana
Shankhaprakshalana begins with an consumption of 250 ml of lukewarm salt water, adopted by performing the respective set of asanas. It consists of Tadasana, Tiryakatadasana, Katichakrasana, Tiryaka Bhujangasana, and eventually Udarakarshan.
Each asana have to be carried out eight occasions to finish a spherical. The practitioner should full 5-6 rounds based on the necessities of the method.
It takes about one to at least one and a half hours to finish the method.
Reasons for utilizing lukewarm salt water
The water temperature used on this follow is maintained at 38 to 40 levels; H. Lukewarm. It is because of the truth that it promotes the motion of standing stool with mucus and causes frequent excretion.
The salt utilized in lukewarm water prevents the speedy absorption of water into the intestines. It finally makes it simpler for water to maneuver easily into the intestinal tract to be evacuated by way of the anus.
The mixed impact of lukewarm salt water with asanas
After two glasses of water earlier than every spherical of the asanas, the water travels from the abdomen, small gut, to the big gut. This finally results in the elimination of poisons and water from the anus.
1. Promotes peristalsis
In this Shankha Prakshalana the gastrointestinal tract is washed from the mouth to the anus. It catalyzes the additional motion of meals and thus promotes peristalsis. This results in improved bowel actions.
2. Lowers levels of cholesterol by eradicating bile
Due to the peristalsis, the chyme strikes from the abdomen into the small gut. When it will get into the duodenum, it combines with bile. Since bowel actions have improved, the combination could be simply eliminated. This reduces the focus of bile.
Cholesterol acts as the principle part of bile secretion. Therefore, ldl cholesterol is consumed extra typically to provide bile and results in decreased levels of cholesterol.
3. Elevated hemoglobin
Slime acts as a barrier to the absorption of iron ions. It reduces the focus of iron within the physique and acts as a curtain of ferritin. However, Shankh Prakshalana removes phlegm and will increase the absorption of iron ions.
It maintains iron ranges within the physique, thereby growing hemoglobin ranges.
4. Invites parasympathetic dominance
The clearance of the gastrointestinal tract renews and rejuvenates the interior organs. This creates a hormonal steadiness to assist preserve homeostasis.
This hormonal steadiness results in a relaxed mind-set that creates a parasympathetic dominance.
Internal cleaning improves bodily well being. It creates an atmosphere for higher psychological well being and thereby has a chilled impact on psychophysiological phrases.
There are 5 asanas within the following order as described beneath:
- Stand and separate your ft 15-18 inches.
- Bring your arms ahead at shoulder top and cross your fingers.
- Use your palms to drag them up towards the ceiling.
- Lift your heels and stretch your physique up so far as potential.
- Then launch and produce your heels and fingers down.
Tadasana opens the pyloric sphincter muscle, which acts as a valve from the abdomen opening to the small gut. The salt water flows into the small gut along with chyme.
- In Tadasana, stand with heels on the ground.
- Stretch up and bend your waist to the left. Be there for some time.
- Come again to the middle and loosen up.
- Then bend to the fitting and maintain the pose.
- Return to the middle.
The bend of the asana contracts repeatedly on both aspect of the tortuous bowel wall. Thus, the water strikes easily by way of the intestinal layer.
- Stand and separate legs 16-18 inches.
- Open your arms sideways to shoulder top, dealing with the ground.
- Rotate your torso to the left across the waist.
- Bring your proper hand round your physique to relaxation in your left shoulder and bend your proper elbow.
- When you bend your left elbow, wrap your left arm round your again rotated to the fitting and place your hand in your waist.
- Finally, flip your neck to the left and switch your complete physique to the left.
- Let go and repeat on the opposite aspect.
The twisting of the asana places strain on the bowel muscle mass. It causes the water to circulation downwards.
4. Tirayaka bhujangasana
- Lie down in your inclined place.
- Raise your head to carry your chin to the ground.
- Bring your fingers subsequent to your chest and roll your toes on the ground.
- Press your palms on the ground and carry your chin, chest and abdomen up.
- Bend your proper elbow and twist to take a look at your left heel. Keep your left arm straight.
- Come again to the middle after which loosen up on the ground.
- Repeat the identical on the fitting aspect.
This asana opens the ileocecal sphincter and salt water reaches the colon. This will free your entire approach to get right here.
- Keep your ft hip-width aside.
- Bend your knee along with your soles on the ground.
- Keep your fingers in your knees.
- Squeeze your proper knee along with your hand to carry it close to your left foot.
- Now slide your left knee to the fitting.
- Shrink the decrease stomach and twist in the direction of your left shoulder.
- Be there for 5-10 breaths, inhale, and return to the sitting place.
- Exhale and repeat, urgent your left knee in the direction of your proper foot.
This final posture is useful for squeezing the colon, stimulating and stretching the digestive organs. It creates contraction and leisure within the digestive tract.
Eventually, when the stool is evacuated from the gastrointestinal tract, the stagnant stool and mucous membrane are cleared. No traces of particulate matter or salt water stay within the digestive tract.
The technique of Shankhaprakshalana could be divided into Three components;
1. Preliminary process – salt water therapy
The lukewarm water is used to make the saline resolution. The ratio of salt to water stays 2 tablespoons of salt in 1 liter of water. Prepare a enough quantity of saline as it will use about 16 glasses of water.
Also, put together a particular meal for post-treatment. This particular meal is khichdi constituted of rice and moong dal, that are cooked collectively. Add turmeric and get rid of salt addition. At the top, boil it with ghee to make a semi-runny meal.
Choose a spot similar to a backyard or terrace the place you will get involved with recent air to carry out Shankha Prakshalana. Make positive there’s an accessible rest room close by.
Morning hours are preferable for this train round 6-7 a.m.
2. Cleaning methodology – bowel actions
Start by ingesting 2 glasses of salt water and instantly carry out the above set of 5 asanas Eight occasions every to finish the primary spherical. Drink one other 2 glasses and repeat the asana Eight occasions every.
Repeat a 3rd time, then go to the toilet to see if there’s a bowel motion or not. Be there for 1-2 minutes and don’t apply any exterior strain.
Repeat the method of ingesting water and proceed the asanas. Another go to to the bathroom follows. Continue the method for about 6 rounds.
Almost after the third spherical, the evacuation course of begins. The first time is accompanied by agency stool, adopted by a mix of stool and water. The focus of stool progressively decreases and finally clear water comes out of the anus.
3. After the process – eat & loosen up
After clear water is evacuated, cease the method and lie down in Shavasana. Relax the physique for 45 minutes whereas sustaining full stillness.
After the 45-minute relaxation interval, eat the khichdi on time. Eat sufficient to refine the bowel and resume peristalsis. Rest after the primary meal, however don't sleep for Three hours. Repeat the meal after about 6 hours of the primary meal.
Avoid bodily and psychological exercise for the entire day and relaxation the subsequent day as nicely. Do not repeat this system greater than twice a 12 months.
Duration – The technique of Shankha Prakshalana have to be accomplished in at some point as described above.
Alternatively, learners can do that by following the method for six days in a row. On the primary day, have the primary spherical of salt water and asanas, adopted by emptying the bowels. Increase one lap every day to finish the course in 6 days.
2 sorts of Shankhaprakshalasna
There are two sorts of Shankha prakshalasna primarily based on the quantity of salt water;
1. Laghu Shankha Prakshalana
Laghu means much less or quick. Here Laghu was referring to the quantity of salt water and the proportion that it purifies. In Laghu Shankha Prakshalana, a most of 6-Eight cups of water are taken after which asanas for defecation are carried out.
This is a shorter method used to scrub the digestive tract. For this objective, lukewarm salt water can also be produced.
- Start by ingesting 2 glasses of ready resolution.
- Perform the 5 asanas eight occasions every as Shankha Prakshalana.
- Drink 2 glasses of salt water and repeat the asanas eight occasions every.
- Repeat yet one more time, then go to the toilet.
- Check whether or not or not the bowel motion has been induced with out exterior strain.
- If it didn't begin, it’ll present up later.
This train takes an hour. It is vital to relaxation for half an hour after exercising earlier than consuming or ingesting something.
2. Poorna Shankaprakshalana
Poorna means full or full. In Poorna Shankaprakshalana you drink water repeatedly and do 5 asanas in a row till the water exiting the anus is as clear because the water flowing in.
Therapeutic makes use of
- Shankha Prakshalana cures constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhea or indigestion.
- It's useful in Relief from belly ache and irritation.
- This follow is useful in Treatment of diabetes.
- This method is used to stop allergic reactions similar to hay fever.
- It works as a treatment for pores and skin issues similar to pimples, eczema or psoriasis.
- It additionally relieves nervousness by calming the nervous system.
- Avoid the follow in case you have hypertension or coronary heart illness.
- People with weak kidneys must chorus from the follow.
- Do not follow Shankha Prakshalana when you are pregnant.
- If you’ve got a gastrointestinal ulcer, this follow have to be averted.
- If you’ve got again ache, keep away from this pact.
- If you’ve got lately undergone an operation, it’s strictly forbidden to do Shankha Prakshalana.
- Immediately cease the train as quickly as clear water elimination begins.
- Do not go to sleep when you are resting in Shavasana.
- Avoid ingesting liquids for no less than 2 hours after a meal.
- Avoid chemically ready, spicy, or non-vegetable meals for a month after exercising.
- Limit your consumption of cucumbers, dairy merchandise, sweets, or bitter fruits.
- The consumption of cigarettes, alcohol or medicine have to be banned for one month.
- Keep the physique heat to keep away from uncomfortable side effects like headache, chilly, or nausea.
Shankha Prakshalana advantages
- It cleanses the physique internally and removes the toxins from the digestive tract.
- This method strengthens the interior organs such because the liver, kidney, digestive organs and glands.
- It is useful in purifying blood by decreasing extreme mucus.
- It maintains the metabolism and strengthens the immune system.
- It rejuvenates the physique each bodily and mentally.
- It decreases urge for food and helps burn further energy. Hence, it tones the physique and reduces physique weight.
- It additionally will increase vitality ranges by stimulating the circulation of prana and aligning the physique chakras.