Image supply: (Email protected)
Supta Padangusthasana is a supine place of Padangusthasana (Big Toe Pose). It opens legs and pelvic muscle groups that add perfection within the ahead flexion poses. Also, mendacity flat on the ground helps your again whereas stretching your hamstrings and calves – it relieves ache in your decrease again.
This pose is carried out just by lifting one leg off the ground with the large toe held by the suitable hand. Bring your raised leg and trunk nearer to relaxation your chin in your knee. The motion is additional expanded by pivoting the leg to the aspect and holding the toe intact.
In addition to relieving again stiffness, it opens the hips and stretches the groins, hamstrings, and calves.
If it sounds troublesome to maintain observe of your flexibility, you possibly can go for the variations or use props as urged under.
Supta Padangusthasana is a Sanskrit title for this pose. The particular person concentrate on the fundamental ideas provides an perception into this observe. There are 4 primary phrases on this title:
- "Supta" means "lying down"
- "Pada" refers to "foot"
- "Angustha" means "big toe"
- "Asana" is "pose"
While the pose is carried out mendacity on the ground, the large toe is held in a single hand, therefore the title. It is translated as Reclined Big Toe Pose in English.
This posture gives anatomical benefits and improves the pliability of the hip joints, legs and arms.
Exercise directions from Supta Padangusthasana
Image supply: Canva
- Do not try this asana in case your backbone, shoulders, hamstrings, or quadriceps muscle groups are injured.
- Pregnant girls have to keep away from this pose from the second trimester onwards.
- It's not a super posture for folks with a damaged knee or ankle.
- People affected by diarrhea have to chorus from this pose.
- Avoid Supta Padangusthasana when you have bronchial asthma or bronchitis.
- If you may have hypertension or tight chest muscle groups, solely carry out this pose with a pillow or blanket below your head.
How To Do Supta Padangusthasana (Steps)
Image supply: Canva
- Lie in your again and straighten your legs on the ground and arms by your sides.
- Inhale, carry your left leg to carry it perpendicular to the ground.
- Raise your left arm and grasp your left massive toe between your thumb, index finger, and center finger.
- Keep your proper leg straight on the ground whereas your proper hand rests in your proper thigh.
- Take 3-Four deep breaths.
- Exhale and carry your head and torso off the ground.
- Bend your left elbow to drag the leg towards your head and hold the knee straight.
- Bring your head and trunk in direction of your leg on the similar time in order that your chin rests in your left knee.
- Hold the pose for about 20 seconds and breathe usually.
- Inhale, decrease your head and trunk to the ground, and convey your left leg again upright.
- Bring your left leg to the ground and repeat the above steps, switching leg and arm positions.
Be cautious whereas performing this pose. Avoid these misalignments simply to get the advantages with out getting damage.
- Avoid bending one in every of your knees through the pose.
- As you carry your leg off the ground, hold your hips on the ground and press them in opposition to the ground.
- Do not straighten your decrease again, so preserve the pure arch between your hips and again.
- The resting leg have to be stretched and stored firmly on the ground all through the exercise.
Follow up poses
- Standing poses
- Seated ahead bends
Props and modifications
- Yoga strap – Wrap a yoga strap across the ball of the raised foot. Hold it with each arms to carry it to the top and chin to the knee. Later swing the leg to the aspect and simply maintain the harness.
- Block – Place a yoga block exterior the raised hip. Bring the leg to 1 aspect and place the leg on the block. This will stop the opposite hip from lifting off the ground. This is very advisable for rookies.
- Against the wall – Practice close to a wall in order that the heel of the decrease leg is pressed in opposition to the wall. Beginners ought to strive by taking the help of the wall. It helps to maintain your decrease leg firmly on the ground.
- Neck roll – Place a cushion or pillow behind your head when placing weight in your neck. The pose wants to offer leisure in your again, so you need to use the padding behind your head.
Supta Padangusthasana 1-2-3
This pose has Three variations which are mostly practiced to additional open the hip joints. This mixed Supta Padangusthasana sequence. It entails stretching and bending the raised leg laterally.
1. Supta Padangusthasana 1
Image supply: Canva
Supta Padangusthasana 1 is identical as the principle pose most frequently practiced in Iyengar Yoga with a yoga strap across the ball of the foot. This makes the pose simply accessible by urgent the highest foot in opposition to the strap and holding it with each arms.
Using a strap whereas mendacity on the large toe prevents the shoulders from being raised whereas reaching the raised massive toe. This can also be advisable for rookies to maintain the rested leg firmly on the bottom.
2. Supta Padangusthasana 2
Image supply: Canva
This variation is carried out in continuation of Supta Padangusthasana 1. Here the raised leg is prolonged additional to 1 aspect (aspect of the raised leg).
When you carry your leg to 1 aspect, make certain the hand holding the strap is aligned along with your shoulder.
Bringing the raised leg to 1 aspect and on the ground will open the hips and pelvis additional. It is extremely advisable to be elevated Relieving the consequences on sciatic ache.
3. Supta Padangusthasana 3
Image supply: Canva
In the third variant, the raised leg is stretched out to the other aspect and the arms are switched. The stretch is additional enhanced by flexing the resting leg on the knee and interlocking the fingers on the shin. At the identical time, draw the outstretched ankle to be positioned on the bent knee.
This variation additionally makes use of stomach energy to carry your head and chest and hold your arms tight round your shins.
- Supta Padangusthasana is common for its relieving results on again ache and sciatica ache.
- This posture is useful for releasing gathered intestinal fuel and curing constipation.
- It stimulates the prostate and relieves the signs of benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate).
- Performing this pose can also be useful in therapeutic flat ft.
- Stretching the pelvic flooring muscle groups, groin space and inner reproductive organs helps overcome infertility.
- This posture can also be helpful for relieving menstrual cramps and relieving menopausal signs.
- It strengthens the knee and hip muscle groups and is used to deal with osteoarthritis of the knees and hips.
Supta Padangusthasana advantages
1. Strengthens the leg muscle groups
Supta Padangusthasana is a posture that primarily stretches hamstrings, calves, and ankle muscle groups. The knee can also be prolonged all through the pose. It strengthens these muscle groups by making them versatile.
2. Activates the hip flexors
In this pose, the hip joints are additionally stretched, particularly within the 2nd variant. It expands the psoas and glutes. It helps in opening the hips and strengthens the hip joints.
3. Stretches your arms and shoulders
The arms are additionally locked into place to assist maintain the pose. It stretches your shoulder, elbow, and wrist. The arm is absolutely prolonged if you pull the leg along with the arm to the aspect. This additionally will increase the energy of the arms.
4. Improves digestion
As the leg is raised and pulled in direction of the top, the core muscle groups are actively concerned. It stimulates the stomach organs and leaves a massaging impact on the abdomen, liver, kidneys, pancreas, and so on. This contributes to a greater blood provide to those organs and thus facilitates digestion.
5. Stimulates the pelvic muscle groups
It stretches the interior thighs, groin, and pelvic flooring muscle groups. It improves blood stream to the reproductive organs and prompts their efficiency. Hence, this posture is useful for selling reproductive well being.
6. Improves the practitioner's consciousness
Since that is an asymmetrical stretch that’s carried out on one leg at a time, each legs nonetheless profit from the benefits. It is as a result of the practitioner have to be cautious to maintain the resting leg straight and tight.
Thus, this observe is an act of elevating the extent of consciousness and bringing physique consciousness.
Supta pandangusthasana is a helpful pose in some ways. This is an unbelievable stretch, particularly for athletes, because it has each stretching and leisure results.
Perform this reclining place to rejuvenate the decrease again muscle groups and keep away from the chance of a hernia.