Image supply: Shutterstock
Do these tighter hips act as boundaries to stopping you from stretching your hamstrings? Well, look no additional! Lying pigeon retaining is all it’s good to remedy your challenges.
The inclined pigeon pose is a delicate method to stretch hamstrings and quads. It's an incredible hip opener pose for novice yogis who’ve tightness of their hips.
It is carried out within the supine place with knees bent within the air. Then the proper ankle is positioned over the left thigh and the proper threads between the legs. The palms are folded across the left shin, elevate the left foot and push the knee in the direction of the physique.
However, this pose appears sophisticated on the newbie stage. It is used to arrange the physique for the pigeon pose by making the hips versatile.
Supta Kapotasana that means
The mendacity pigeon retaining is a variant of the superior pigeon retaining. It is carried out within the supine place and resembles a useless pigeon mendacity on its again, therefore the title Supta Kapotasana.
In Sanskrit "Supta" refers to "lying down", "Kapota" means "dove", "Asana" is "pose".
Some practitioners additionally confer with it as sucirandhrasana. In Sanskrit, "suci" means "needle" and "randhra" means "loop". This is the place the legs are crossed to kind a loop like that of the needle. Similarly, as you thread the needle, the hand is threaded between the legs within the pose, therefore the title.
Sometimes this pose is also referred to as the Reverse Pigeon Pose or the Eye of the Needle Pose.
Exercise guide for inclined pigeon retaining
Image supply: Shutterstock
Even this newbie pose requires correct train steering and preparation. Here's what it’s good to know earlier than entering into the pose.
- The head and neck have to be stored relaxed within the mendacity pigeon place.
- Do not transfer your physique whereas holding the pose.
- Your shoulders must be away out of your ears relaxed on the ground.
- Keep your crossed ankle bent to keep away from harm.
- Do not apply this pose when you’ve got not too long ago had surgical procedure in your hips, knees, decrease again, or stomach.
- Pregnant ladies need to do with out this asana after the second trimester.
- People with sacroiliitis or different sacroiliac issues shouldn’t strive.
Lying pigeon retaining steps
- Lie on the ground together with your knees and ft bent.
- Raise your proper foot and place your proper ankle on prime of your left thigh close to the knee.
- Thread your proper arm between your legs.
- Grasp your proper hand round your left shin together with your left.
- Bring your left knee nearer to your chest and elevate your left foot off the ground.
- Direct your gaze to the ceiling.
- Exhale and really feel the stretch round your decrease hip.
- Hold the pose for as much as Three breaths, then launch in reverse order.
- Repeat these steps retaining your proper ankle above your left thigh.
- Once you’re achieved on each side, calm down mendacity on the ground.
Follow up poses
- Supine Spine Twist Pose (Supta Matsyendrasana)
- Wind relieving pose (Pawanmuktasana)
Props and modifications
- Blanket – Place a folded blanket below your hips to carry out this pose. It helps the hips whereas it holds the stretch.
- Against a wall – It might be achieved close to a wall. While pushing the knee in the direction of the corresponding foot, you possibly can push your self in opposition to the wall. It prevents any pressure on the decrease again.
- Half inverted pigeon retaining – As the title reveals, on this variant just one leg is lifted off the ground and pressed in opposition to the abdomen.
Lie in your again Bend your knees and convey your ft to the ground. Lift your proper foot off the ground. Push the proper knee in the direction of the physique and put each palms behind it.
- While holding the pose, you could have issue getting your palms round your shins. In this second variant of the mendacity dove, attempt to fold your palms behind the thighs.
- Lying pigeons symbolize a easy variation – This is a neater choice for many who have tighter hips or can not maintain their legs off the ground. Lie in your again together with your knee bent, place your proper ankle over your left thigh. Keep your palms by your sides and maintain respiration.
- Lying pigeon retaining superior variation – First, obtain the fundamental posture (mendacity pigeon) utterly, with the proper ankle crossed on the left thigh. Now let go of your arms and open them to the edges. Bring your left thigh and proper sole to the ground and drop them to the left. Hold your proper ankle together with your left hand and push your proper knee away out of your physique.
Therapeutic makes use of
- Lying pigeon retaining is therapeutically useful in relieving again ache. It heals sciatica by gently stretching the hip muscular tissues. An individual who’s about to start sciatica remedy could strive mendacity in a deaf place to alleviate the ache.
- It has therapeutic results on menstrual cramps and discomfort. It can be useful in relieving premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
- It additionally works as a therapeutic assist in relieving anxiousness and stress
- Practicing below skilled supervision will assist deal with piriformis syndrome.
Advantages of retaining pigeons mendacity down
1. Stretches the hips
Lying pigeon acts as a hip opener pose. It stretches the muscular tissues of the gluteus maximus and piriformis. This improves hip flexibility and prepares the physique for intense and superior stretches.
2. Strengthens the thighs
It additionally gives deep hamstring stretches because the knee is pushed towards the physique. It strengthens the thigh muscular tissues and the hip flexors.
3. Provides a versatile decrease again
The pose is carried out mendacity in your again. As you pull the leg in the direction of your chest, the decrease again is stretched deeply. This releases stress within the decrease again muscular tissues, which improves flexibility.
4. Improves blood circulation
Supta kapotasana helps enhance blood circulation within the decrease physique. It covers the legs, hips, and decrease again. Therefore, it helps to enhance blood circulation.
5. Better digestion
The stretch that pulls your legs in the direction of your physique places strain in your abdomen. This stimulates the stomach organs and thus eases and improves the digestive system.
6. Activates the basis and sacral chakra
Both the basis (Muladhara) and the sacral (Svadhisthana) chakra are stimulated whereas the pose is held. It advantages the practitioner by bringing stability and steadiness. It additionally improves emotional steadiness and creativity.