Image supply: Canva
Marichyasana is a mirror pose that takes under consideration the diploma of your flexibility. This pose of the Ashtanga Primary collection with all its variations serves as a revitalizer for the physique.
It is carried out whereas sitting on the ground with one leg stretched ahead and the opposite bent on the knee. The foot of the bent leg is positioned on the ground subsequent to the internal fringe of the prolonged thigh. Both palms are folded behind the again with the raised knee locked beneath the corresponding armpit. This is adopted by a ahead bend during which the chin is positioned on the prolonged knee.
The twist and stretch of the backbone mixed with the ahead bend make it a difficult pose. Although the pose sounds easy, the depth of the flexibleness required makes it an intermediate pose.
It primarily targets the stomach and again muscle mass. It's additionally an intense stretch to assist strengthen the legs, arms, chest, and hip joints.
In addition to firming your entire physique and making it supple, the practitioner stays energized and stress-free.
Meaning and interpretation
Marichyasana is called after the nice Hindu sage Marichi, who was the son of Lord Brahma. It is as a result of Maharishi Marichi solely made this asana standard amongst different yogis.
Etymology and Origin
In Sanskrit, "Marichi" refers to "ray of light" and "Asana" means "pose". Since the pose is historically believed to ignite the internal gentle and knowledge, therefore the identify.
It was first described in Krishnamacharya's Yoga Makaranda, adopted by the teachings of his college students B.Ok.S Iyenger and Pattabhi Jois.
Marichyasana can be identified beneath the names Sage Twist Pose, Marichis Pose or One-Legged Seated Spinal Twist Pose.
Marichyasana apply instruction
Image supply: Canva
- Do not apply this asana with accidents to your knees, hips, or wrists.
- Pregnant ladies must keep away from this pose after the second month.
- Avoid this pose you probably have migraines.
- People with extreme spinal issues must chorus from this posture.
- Patients with bronchial asthma or different respiratory illnesses should keep away from the pose.
- Women ought to skip the pose throughout menstruation.
- Do not attempt marichyasana with upset abdomen, viz. Diarrhea or dysentery.
It is inevitable to have the hip flexors open and versatile arms and again muscle mass to correctly apply marichyasana.
Before getting into marichyasana, apply the next poses to enhance the elasticity of the physique:
- Deer retaining (Mrigiasana)
- Side Twist Pose (Vakrasana)
- Seated torso circles (Kundalini circles)
- Half Lord of the Fish Pose (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
- Head to Knee Pose (Janu Sirsasana)
- Semi-Tied Lotus Forward Fold (Ardha Baddha Padma Paschimottanasana)
How To Do Marichyasana (Steps)
- Start by sitting in Dandasana.
- Bend your left knee to put your left foot subsequent to the within fringe of your proper thigh.
- Place the left heel nearer to the perineum.
- Pull your left shoulder ahead in order that your left armpit touches your left shin.
- Wrap your left arm round your left shin and thigh. Now bend your elbow to get again from the left forearm at your waist.
- Raise your proper hand to wrap your proper arm round your again and grasp your left wrist.
- Rotate your backbone to the left and maintain your eyes in your prolonged proper massive toe.
- Hold this pose for just a few deep breaths, then return to the middle.
- Exhale and bend ahead to relaxation your brow, nostril, and lips, adopted by the chin in your proper knee.
- Keep your shoulders parallel to the ground and maintain respiratory.
- Hold this last pose for 30 seconds.
- Inhale, elevate your head off your proper knee, launch your palms and lengthen your left leg ahead.
- Relax in Dandasana and repeat the identical on the opposite facet.
When working towards marichyasana, maintain the next steps in thoughts to keep away from potential harm:
- Do not lose the integrity of your again whereas bending ahead.
- Keep your torso stretched ahead with out shedding your abdomen.
- Do not bend or elevate your relaxed leg whereas performing the pose.
Tips for freshmen
- Beginners discover it troublesome to understand the wrist behind their again. You should attempt to seize both the palms of the palms or the fingers of the alternate hand.
- It could also be past your flexibility to tie your palms behind your again. So, deal with your self to the asana first by holding the large toe of the prolonged leg with one other hand as you bend ahead.
Follow up poses
Performing Marichyasana places strain on the decrease again and stomach muscle mass. In addition, legs and arms are stored straight, which is why the physique should be cooled by the next counterpositions:
- Staff Pose Hands Back Knees Bent (Dandasana Hands Back Knees Bent)
- Staff Pose Hands Back (Dandasana Hands Back)
- Bridge Pose (Setu Bandh Asana)
- Wind Release Pose (Pawanmuktasana)
Props and modifications
- Folded Blanket – Place a folded blanket beneath your hip, then proceed twisting and folding ahead for marichyasana. The elevated stage of the hips helps in rising the flexibleness of the again and hamstrings. It additionally helps in softening the groin and easing the twist from the buttocks to carry out the twist.
- Yoga strap – After bending the left leg of Dandasana, maintain a yoga harness or belt in your left hand. From the within of the left leg, wrap your left arm round your shin and attain your again. Pull your proper hand again and maintain the opposite finish of the strap round your again.
1. Marichyasana A.
- Sit in Dandasana after which bend your left knee to put your left foot on the basis of your proper thigh.
- Bend your proper knee to put your proper foot on the ground.
- Pull your proper shoulder ahead to deliver your proper armpit over your proper knee.
- Wrap your proper forearm round your proper shin and proper thigh, then bend your elbow to achieve your again together with your proper hand.
- Swing your left arm round your again and grasp your proper wrist together with your left hand.
- Take a deep breath and maintain the pose.
- Exhale whereas leaning ahead and resting your head in your bent left knee.
- Extend your neck to relaxation your chin in your left knee. Repeat this course of 3-Four occasions, respiratory out and in falling up and down.
- Inhale, elevate your head, launch your legs and arms, after which loosen up. Repeat on the opposite facet.
2. Marichyasana B.
- From Dandasana, bend your left knee to put your left foot subsequent to your proper thigh.
- Keep your left heel pressed towards the perineum.
- Exhale and twist your backbone to the left at a 90 ° angle to deliver your chest previous your left thigh.
- Bring your proper arm over your left thigh and your proper shoulder over your left knee.
- Extend your proper arm ahead by rotating your backbone additional to the left.
- Stay there and take two breaths.
- Exhale and roll your proper arm round your left knee.
- Bend your proper elbow and use your proper hand to achieve the again of your waist.
- Exhale, pulling your left arm behind your again to seize your proper wrist together with your left hand.
- Rotate your neck to both look behind your proper shoulder or look down on the toes of the prolonged leg.
3. Marichyasana C.
- Sit in Dandasana.
- Bend your proper knee to put your proper foot on the root of your left thigh.
- Bend your left knee and press your left heel towards the perineum.
- Exhale and switch your backbone 90 levels to the left.
- Place your proper shoulder over your left knee and lengthen your proper arm ahead, persevering with to rotate your backbone.
- Inhale after which exhale by wrapping your proper arm round your left knee.
- Bend your proper elbow to put your proper hand on the again of your waist.
- Inhale whereas holding your left knee in your proper armpit.
- Exhale deeply and pull your left arm behind your again, clutching your proper hand.
- Stretch your chest and straighten your backbone upwards. Stay there for 30 seconds and maintain respiratory.
Therapeutic makes use of
- Marichyasana cures flatulence, constipation and indigestion.
- It is understood for its relieving results on decrease again ache.
- Due to the twist, the pancreas is massaged and squeezed, proving the therapeutic angle in curing diabetes.
- This posture makes the womb stronger and helps the pregnant lady carry the fetus safely.
- It relieves menstrual cramps and discomfort.
- It stretches the buttocks and thigh muscle mass intensely. Therefore relieves sciatic ache and heals sciatica.
- The ahead flexion within the pose helps stretch the backbone all the way in which to the crown. It brings recent oxygen into the mind and relieves psychological stress, fatigue and stress.
1. Strengthens the legs and hips
While performing Marichyasana, the calves, hamstrings, knees, and ankles are stretched. Together with the legs, the buttocks are engaged, which stimulate the psoas muscle mass. It strengthens the hip flexors and leg muscle mass.
2. Improves the flexibleness of the backbone
The total backbone is turned sideways and stretched intensively when bending ahead. It expands the vertebrae and improves the blood provide to the again muscle. Therefore, Marichyasana strengthens the backbone and will increase the flexibleness of the backbone.
3. Opens your chest and shoulders
This asana is carried out to develop the chest and straighten the shoulders. This will increase lung quantity and improves respiratory capability. This will increase the effectivity of the airways.
4. Improves blood circulation
Opening the chest additionally stimulates the guts. It regulates blood stream to your entire physique. Hence, the pose can be useful for bettering the circulatory system.
5. Regulates metabolism
In the ultimate pose, the neck is stretched whereas the chin is positioned on the knee. It prompts the thyroid gland and improves the secretion of thyroid hormones. This finally helps preserve total metabolism.
6. Facilitates digestion
Marichyasana includes a ahead bend that compresses the stomach muscle mass. It stimulates the inner organs, compresses the abdomen, intestines, liver and pancreas. This regulates the secretion of digestive juice and hormones and helps digestion.
7. Activates the Manipura chakra
The manipura chakra is activated by stimulating the stomach. It develops self-confidence, willpower, and happiness within the practitioner.
Incorporating marichyasana and its variations into common apply brings a number of well being advantages. The pose anatomically revitalizes the human physique and tonifies the physique that shapes it superbly.