Image supply: Canva
Are you able to take your yoga journey to an entire new degree by difficult your energy and suppleness? If so, Astavakrasana is the most suitable choice for you proper now.
Astavakrasana is assumed by lifting all the physique off the bottom with each legs stretched to 1 aspect. This asymmetrical posture is a complicated train as a result of the physique is just balanced on the arms.
This pose is carried out in a sitting place, with the physique flexed, balanced and twisted to the aspect. Hence, this pose is thought for its strengthening advantages and brings stability to the physique.
Astavakrasana which means
Astavakrasana is a reputation that’s derived from the Sanskrit language and whose which means could be outlined by breaking it down into the three primary phrases:
- "Asta" means "eight"
- "Vakra" refers to "bent" or "bent"
- "Asana" is "posture"
The Astavakrasana pose is achieved by bending the physique in eight completely different areas or angles. one within the chest, one within the neck, one in every hand, foot, and knee, therefore the identify. The pose is often known as the eight-angle pose.
Story of Astavakrasana
According to Hindu mythology, there was a sage who was the non secular guru of King Janak of Mithila. When the sensible man was within the womb, he realized all concerning the Vedas from his father.
One day his father was reciting Kahoda Vedas, making a number of errors. The unborn sage laughed at his errors. This outraged his father, which led him to curse his son that he can be born with a physique crippled in eight areas.
When he was born his physique was twisted round his chest, neck, toes, palms and knees. For this he was known as Astavakra. This posture can be achieved by flexing the physique in the identical approach as its physique, therefore it’s named after it.
The sensible Astavakra had a crippled physique, however he led a profitable non secular life and led King Janaka throughout his reign. His life is an ideal instance of how bodily incapacity could be ignored when you may have a robust will and soul.
Although astavakrasana adopts a difficult posture, it presents comparable advantages to the practitioner in that it entails the soul to attain psychological stability. This pose additionally allows the yogi to understand his inside energy.
Astavakarasana train handbook
Image supply: Canva
- Avoid the posture when you have an harm to your shoulders, wrists, elbows, or different joints within the physique.
- Do not strive Astavakrasana with again ache, herniated discs, or spinal issues.
- People with carpal tunnel syndrome shouldn’t do this asana.
- Women throughout being pregnant shouldn’t strive.
- It shouldn’t be practiced with an harm or surgical procedure to the legs, hips, decrease again, and pelvis.
- Patients with coronary heart illness, hypertension, and dizziness have to skip this pose.
In order to carry out an astavakrasana-like arm balancing posture, the energy of the hip flexors, higher physique and hamstrings should be supplied. Therefore, these given preparatory poses should be practiced previous to astavakrsana:
How To Do Astavakrasana (Steps)
Image supply: Canva
Follow the steps under to leap into astavakrasana.
- Start by sitting in Dandasana
- Bend your proper leg on the knee, grasp your proper foot along with your left hand, and produce your proper arm to the within of your proper thigh.
- Hold your proper foot along with your left hand and straighten your proper leg up in order that your proper thigh rests on the higher shoulders of your proper arm.
- Firm your proper palm on the ground subsequent to your proper hip.
- Hook your proper knee along with your proper arm and press each palms of your palms on the ground to carry your hips and legs off the ground.
- Bend your left knee to hook your left ankle along with your proper, and straighten each legs to the correct.
- At the identical time, transfer your chest and weight ahead, bending your arms at your elbows and shoulders.
- Finally, your torso is parallel to the ground, along with your hips twisted and raised to maintain your legs balanced.
- Exhale, get pleasure from your self, and maintain the pose for 30-60 seconds, taking deep breaths.
- Straighten your arms and torso to deliver your legs ahead, launch your ankles and calm down in Dandasana.
- Repeat the identical steps for the left aspect.
Follow up poses
- Shoulder press posture (Bhujapidasana)
- Two Legs Above Arms Pose (Dwi Pada Bhujasana)
Regardless of the poses wherein you apply safety, all it’s essential to do to start with is to make the most of it and remove attainable threats.
Therefore, when practising Astavakrasana, preserve the next factors in thoughts:
- Make positive you may have sufficient hip flexibility, core energy, and stability in your physique earlier than making an attempt the pose.
- In the tip place of Astavakrasana, for higher stability, don’t have a look at the bottom, however look forward.
- At the start, maintain the pose deeply solely 2-Three occasions and regularly enhance the time.
- Be cautious as you launch the pose and don’t rush to unlock your ankles to keep away from jerking your legs.
Props and modifications
- Yoga blocks – Take two yoga blocks and place every one subsequent to each hips. Instead of urgent them to the ground, press each palms of your palms on the blocks. It facilitates the pose when lifting the legs.
- Neck roll – In order to simply compensate for this posture, particularly at first, place a cushion below the decrease leg. So if you stretch your legs to the correct, your left hip and leg relaxation on the pad.
There is a complicated model of Astavakrasana wherein the physique is bent in the identical approach aside from the arms.
- In this variant, the hand stays pressed in opposition to the ground between the legs, however one forearm of the choice arms is positioned on the ground.
- The physique is balanced on one hand and one arm is bent on the elbow.
- After discovering the correct stability, elevate your arm on the elbow to place your hand below your chin.
- In the ultimate pose, the curved and twisted physique is balanced on one hand and one elbow.
1. Strengthen the decrease physique – Astavakrasana stretches the hips and the entire leg muscular tissues from the buttocks to the ankles. The pelvic flooring muscular tissues are additionally stimulated. It tones the inside thighs and strengthens the legs.
2. Improves arm energy – The physique weight is balanced on each arms. It stretches the shoulders, elbows, wrists, contracts the biceps and triceps. This improves the energy of the arms.
3. Builds stamina – When you carry your legs off the ground and stretch them to the aspect, the core energy is used. This motion and the balancing of the physique in opposition to gravity push the bounds and the capability of the physique and thus promote basic endurance.
4. Tones the abs – The belly muscular tissues are additionally stretched and the interior organs are massaged. It improves blood stream to this area and tightens the stomach.
5. Stimulates vitality chakras – Astavakrasana stimulates the Manipura and Swadhisthana chakra. Activating these chakras promotes self-confidence and inventive abilities. It stimulates the physique and improves the usual of dwelling.
7. Improves the reproductive system – This posture stretches the pelvic flooring muscular tissues and improves blood stream on this area. Activating the sacral chakra additionally improves sexual well being, which makes the reproductive system extra environment friendly.
8. Psychological advantages – Balancing the physique in Astavakrasana improves the practitioner's focus. It stabilizes the thoughts and provides the mind with oxygen for readability. Hence, this pose additionally serves as a stress reliever.
Strengthen your inside being to free your self from any restrictions which have been positioned on you simply because it appears tough.
To achieve such a way of self-realization, astavakrasana is the very best yogic approach out.