Image supply: Canva
|Sanskrit pronunciation||Parivrtta Surya Yantrasana
(Par-ee-vrt-tah SUR-yuH Yan-truh-AHS-anah)
|significance||Parivrtta = turned, / Surya = solar / Yantra = instrument / Asana = pose|
|Pose sort||Sit and switch sideways bend|
|anatomy||Arms, shoulders, center again, neck, core, hips, hamstrings, and pelvic muscular tissues|
|different names||Compass pose, rotatable sundial pose|
Information on Parivrtta Surya Yantrasana
Parivrtta Surya Yantrasana is a complicated sitting posture that opens the shoulders and hips whereas rotating the higher physique. It deepens the coordination between physique and thoughts.
This pose works as a full physique exercise that advantages the physique on each a bodily and a psychological degree.
The Sanskrit identify Parivrtta Surya Yantrasana is translated actually in English as a twisted solar instrument pose. Here the time period "twisted" refers back to the twisted or twisted torso, photo voltaic instrument refers to a compass.
The symbolic that means of the compass posture additional clarifies its that means, as on this asana the physique symbolizes a compass that guides the practitioner nearer to his bodily and non secular observe.
Compass Pose Exercise Guide
Image supply: Canva
- Avoid this pose when you’ve got a again, neck, or knee damage.
- Do not strive a hip or shoulder dislocation and an damage to the groin or hamstrings.
- Skip the observe when you’ve got a slipped disc or sciatica.
- Women ought to keep away from Parivrtta Surya Yantrasana throughout being pregnant and within the postnatal phases.
How To Do A Compass Pose (Steps)
Image supply: Canva
- Start by sitting in Ardha Padmasana and place the proper leg over the left.
- Lift your proper leg and wrap your proper arm round your proper foot and your left arm round your shin.
- By opening the hips, the proper leg is pulled outwards and the foot is held with the proper hand.
- Now carry your proper leg and place your proper knee over your proper shoulder.
- Grasp your proper foot along with your left hand by extending your left arm behind your head.
- Extend your proper arm and press your proper palm on the ground beneath your proper leg.
- Lift your proper knee off your proper shoulder and seize your foot along with your left hand. With pointy toes and lively arches, straighten your proper leg upwards
- Lean barely to the proper and rotate your torso and neck to the left.
- Try to search for past your left triceps.
- Hold the pose for 3-5 breaths, then bend your proper knee to get out of the pose. Repeat this course of by altering the leg place.
Follow up poses
Tip for newbies
If you're having an excessive amount of hassle holding your raised foot with one other hand to straighten your leg in a compass place, strive utilizing a yoga harness.
Wrap a strap across the foot and maintain it in place along with your hand to straighten the leg. This provides additional size to the hand and permits for stretching.
Compass pose variation
Practice following the compass pose variation to deepen the pose route.
1. Standing compass posture
This is a complicated variation that’s carried out whereas standing with Tadasana as the bottom. From right here, fold your torso ahead to tuck your proper shoulder beneath your proper knee. Bring your left arm round your again and grasp your proper wrist along with your left hand behind your again. Now carry your proper leg and stretch it ahead, conserving your again straight.
2. Compass place mendacity down
For this pose, sit down along with your left leg prolonged and carry your proper leg up, inserting your knee on the suitable shoulder. Put each palms on the ground behind your again. Then carry your hips off the ground, lean your left knee again and stretch your proper leg in your again
3. Hold the leg with the suitable hand
In this variant, one leg (e.g. left) is folded on the knee and the foot is positioned on the choice (proper) thigh. However, the proper leg is turned from the skin and lifted up with the toes. The proper leg is held across the calf or ankle by the proper hand whereas the left arm is held straight and the palm is pressed towards the ground.
4. Infinity pose
For an infinite stance, sit in a splayed place, then bend considered one of your knees nearer to your chest. Now bend to the aspect of the outstretched leg and stretch out the higher hand behind the top to carry the foot. Rotate your torso to search for and attempt to maintain the bent shin off your decrease hand.
Compass pose advantages
1. Strengthens the arms
When you maintain this pose by extending your arms to carry the raised leg and balancing the physique, the muscular tissues of each the shoulders and the arms and wrists are stretched. It strengthens the arm muscular tissues and will increase arm power.
2. Improves the pliability of the backbone
Twisting the torso and neck, in addition to sustaining again integrity, stretch the again muscular tissues. It improves the blood provide to your entire again muscular tissues. This improves the elasticity within the backbone.
3. Opens hip flexors
Parivrtta Surya Yantrasana is a superb hip opener. It stretches the gluteus maximus, the thigh muscular tissues and deepens the stretch within the hips. It opens the psoas muscular tissues and improves hip flexibility.
4. Make your limbs stronger
The leg muscular tissues are tight and maintain this pose. It stretches the thighs, knees, calves and ankles. Even the arches are activated as they get to the tip place. Therefore, it strengthens the leg muscular tissues and prepares them for extra demanding poses.
5. Boosts the digestive system
The belly organs are compressed and massaged whereas the higher physique is stretched and rotated. It ultimately improves blood circulate to the digestive system and stimulates the secretion of enzymes and digestive juices. Hence, it facilitates higher digestion.
6. Stimulates the reproductive system
When you stretch one leg above your knee and lift the opposite above your head, the groin opens, the pelvic flooring muscular tissues stretch, and the reproductive organs are provided with contemporary blood.
7. Activates the sacral chakra
By stretching the genitals and belly muscular tissues, it additionally advantages the physique on an lively degree. It stimulates the sacral chakra and permits the yogi to really feel pleasure, abundance and well-being. It additionally makes it doable to really feel the inside remodeling energy in direction of creativity and sensuality.
Parivrtta Surya Yantrasana is a complicated observe that opens the thoughts and physique on completely different ranges. However, it’s price treating your muscular tissues with their firming and massaging results.
Therefore, with out additional ado, observe this pose for bodily and non secular advantages and improve your yogic journey.