Image supply: Canva
|Sanskrit pronunciation||Urdhva Hastasana
|significance||Urdhva = elevated (or upwards / hasta = hand / asana = pose|
|Pose kind||Standing stretch|
|anatomy||Arms and shoulders, higher again, neck, psoas muscular tissues|
|different names||Hand stretch pose upwards, greeting upwards, pose with raised palms, mountain pose with arms above head or Utthita Hasta in Tadasana Palm Pose, Urdhva Hastotanasana|
Urdhva Hastasana info
Urdhva Hastasana is a standing pose that refreshes the complete physique by rising vitality ranges. Whether you’re a skilled yogi, an aspirant, or perhaps a newbie, everybody does this pose each day.
Every time you rise up or get up from lengthy hours of sitting, straighten your arms above your head, stretching your complete physique from toes to fingertips. This unconscious motion stimulates the physique and the types once more Urdhva Hastasana.
Urdhva hastasana refers back to the "raised hands pose". This mild stretch regenerates the energetic spark and gives varied therapeutic advantages.
Urdhva Hastasana Practice Guide
Image supply: Canva
Contraindications and Precautions
- Avoid sprains in and across the shoulders and neck.
- You may also attempt with out elevating your arms utterly above your head if it hurts whereas stretching within the full model.
- Make positive you will have mastered the fundamental tadasana alignment earlier than making an attempt this pose. It will function a preparatory pose to stretch and steadiness the physique in Urdhva Hastasana.
- As you lengthen the backbone, pull the pubic bone towards the navel to keep away from injuring the lumbar backbone and rib cage.
- Stack your knees above your ankles and your shoulders simply above your hips.
Urdhva Hastasana process
Image supply: Canva
Follow these easy directions to achieve Urdhva Hastasana and expertise its energetic advantages:
- Stand in Tadasana together with your toes Four inches aside and your arms by your sides.
- Distribute the burden evenly between each toes and chill out your arms, neck, and shoulders.
- Inhale and lift your arms over your shoulders and head.
- Bandage your palms over your head and hold your toes firmly on the ground.
- Pull up on the shins and kneecaps, protecting the thighs engaged as you stretch up.
- Keep inhaling and deepen the stretch by activating the core muscular tissues and stretching the neck muscular tissues to have a look at the palms raised.
- Hold the stretch for about 8-10 breaths, then return your arms to your sides as you exhale.
- This completes one spherical of Urdhva Hastasana. Practice it for about 10 rounds after which chill out.
Follow up poses
The follow of Urdhva Hastasana is adopted by reverse poses equivalent to Standing Forward Bend (Uttanasana) and Standing Sideways Bending.
Props and modifications
- Beginners usually have problem protecting their arms straight as they’re raised up. To make this problem simpler, attempt a loop round your higher arms that retains them shoulder-width aside.
- Place a block between your thighs as you stretch up. It squeezes the outer hips collectively and pushes the tailbone down, neutralizing the pelvis.
Urdhva Hastasana Variations
Perform these variant poses of Urdhva Hastasana to ease or deepen the pose.
1. Urdhva Hastasana with clasped fingers
As the identify suggests, it solely differs within the hand motion. After standing above your head together with your arms raised, cross your fingers and twist your palm up. It will enhance stretch throughout your physique.
2. Urdhva Hastasana balanced on toes
Lift your heels off the ground and shift your weight onto your toes. Look up on the fingers raised or locked. Therefore, on this variant, the physique is barely balanced on the toes, which makes it a complicated variant.
3. Urdhva Hastasana with out elevating arms
This variant of Urdhva Hastasana turns out to be useful when you will have ache in your shoulders or neck. Stand together with your physique in your toes and unfold your arms subsequent to you at shoulder stage or join them with Anjali Mudra in your chest.
Therapeutic makes use of
- Urdhva Hastasana additionally improves psychological well being and has been proven to be helpful in curing anxiousness and stress.
- This posture is useful in curing bronchial asthma and different lung illnesses.
- It has therapeutic results o relieving sciatic ache.
- This is a superb path to eliminate again ache.
- Anyone affected by upset abdomen or dyspepsia should attempt Urdhva Hastasana
Urdhva Hastasana advantages
1. Improves posture
This asana stretches the complete backbone, relaxes the shoulders and tones the physique. Stretching a number of muscular tissues, together with the legs, arms, core, again, and hips, corrects any postural deformity and maintains a toned physique.
2. Stimulates the digestive system
It stretches the core muscular tissues that therapeutic massage and tone the stomach organs, viz. Stomach, pancreas and liver. This gently stretches the stomach muscular tissues of the rectus and intestines. Thus it improves the general effectivity of the digestive system.
3. Improves lung effectivity
Urdhva Hastasana is accepted because the chest expands and will increase the capability of the lungs. It makes diaphragmatic respiratory simpler and helps preserve a wholesome respiratory system.
4. Improves blood circulation
The complete expertise of the muscular system extends in Urdhva Hastasana. This growth of the muscular tissues removes the constipation of muscular tissues by regulating the right blood provide all through the physique.
Get an prompt burst of vitality via your physique working towards Urdhva Hastasana at any time of the day.
This posture prepares the physique for superior postures by enhancing steadiness, energy, and physique alignment. So get able to attempt it out and settle for the grace it’s going to go away you.