Chandra Bhedana Pranayama is a cooling respiratory strategy of yoga wherein air is inhaled via the left nostril and exhaled via the fitting nostril. It is a sort of Uninostril respiratory wherein inhalation and exhalation are restricted to the left and proper nostrils, respectively.
According to yoga science, the left nostril is connected to the "Chandra" or "Ida Nadi" that exists alongside the backbone. Nadis are typically the power channels which can be distributed all through our physique for the move of prana (life pressure) in varied organs. Inhaling Chandra Bhedana Pranayama impacts the move of prana in Chandra Nadi, therefore it is usually referred to as Chandra Nadi Pranayama.
The advantages of Chandra Bhedana Pranayama end result from the mechanism of induction of the "left side of the body" and the "right hemisphere". Inducing the fitting hemisphere prompts the parasympathetic nervous system and brings a chilled and calming impact on the physique.
What does Chandra Bhedana Pranayama imply?
Chandra means "moon" or "lunar aspect" in Sanskrit and Bhedana means "piercing" or "penetrating". Chandra Bhedana Pranayama actually means "moon-pervading breathing". In this pranayama solely we (bhedana) enter the ida nadi by emphasizing the respiratory via the left nostril. This nadi represents the moon-like calming and calming property in our physique. It can also be referred to as "Chandra Bhedi Pranayama".
Inhaling Chandra Bhedana Pranayama will increase the coolness within the physique as a result of when inhaling the air is full of the cooling power of Ida Nadi and when exhaling the sharpness of the physique is exhaled from the fitting nostril. Hence this pranayama is also referred to as "left nostril breathing".
Chandra or moon additionally rule the female and artistic features of an individual. Therefore, practising Chandra Bhedana is useful if you end up stressed, want artistic concepts, lack creativeness, ardour and curiosity in your work. It offers the thoughts a chilled impact and offers with cognitive features resembling consideration, processing of visible types, patterns, feelings, verbal ambiguity and implicit meanings. All of those features are solely managed by the fitting hemisphere, and respiratory from the left nostril prompts the fitting hemisphere.
Precautions and Contraindications
Chandra Bhedana Pranayama shouldn’t be used for bronchial asthma, hypertension cough, or different respiratory illnesses. Avoiding a number of train throughout winter classes or on a cool day must also be averted. Practitioners mustn’t eat instantly earlier than and after practising this pranayama.
It just isn’t really helpful to observe Chandra Bhedana Pranayama shortly after or earlier than Surya Bhedana Pranayama. Opposite pranayama can neutralize the consequences of each other. However, by combining these two pranayamas in a single train, Nadi Shodhana Pranayama is created, which balances each halves of the mind.
How To Do Chandra Bhedana Pranayama (Steps)
You can do Chandra Bhedana Pranayama on a yoga mat, carpeted flooring, or mushy floor. Sitting in a chair can also be good for these with knee ache or different issues. However, for those who hold the physique in direct contact with the earth, the respiratory impact is enhanced.
Follow the steps to do Chandra Bhedana Pranayama.
- Start by getting right into a sitting meditative place; easy pose or lotus pose. Straighten your again along with your eyes closed and give attention to the tip of your nostril as you watch the breath come out and in.
- Now calm down your left hand in your left kneecap and do Vishnu Mudra along with your proper hand.
- Bend your proper hand and lift it close to the nostrils. Close the fitting nostril along with your proper thumb so you may solely breathe in via the left nostril.
- Begin the primary spherical of Chandra Bhedana by respiratory deeply via your left nostril and filling your chest till it stops. Feel the cooling sensation in your nostril and mind when the breath turns into deeper right here.
- After taking a deep breath, shut the left nostril along with your proper ring finger and start to exhale via the other (proper) nostril. Feel the heat within the air popping out via your proper nostril.
- It ends one spherical of Chandra Bhedana Pranayama.
- In the identical manner, inhale via the left nostril and exhale via the fitting nostril.
- Repeat the method 10 instances in a single stretch. During the summer season, you are able to do Chandra Bhedana Pranayama for five minutes throughout the day.
- When the method is full, first launch the fitting mudra, maintain a number of breaths in the identical sitting place, after which arise.
Time of train
It is critical to know the fitting time to observe Chandra Bhedana Pranayama because it brings coolness. In order to keep away from disturbances within the physique's metabolism, the exterior environmental circumstances ought to be synchronous.
In summer season, Chandra Bhedana is healthier within the early morning or on Brahma Muhurta. Because the solar rises in early summer season and that is the time when the daylight is contemporary and of low depth.
However, in winter it may be troublesome to observe Chandra Bhedana Pranayama open air within the early morning as a result of chilly exterior setting. So the practitioner can wait till the fitting environmental circumstances are practiced open air or at dawn.
Chandra Bhedana Pranayama Benefits
The observe of Chandra Bhedi Pranayama has quite a few advantages starting from bodily, psychological, to emotional well being. It may be notably helpful in sure bodily circumstances resembling controlling blood stress, heartburn, fever, and many others.
- Slow and deep inhaling Chandra Bhedi Pranayama helps activate the parasympathetic nervous system, which lowers the center charge and dilates the blood vessels. Therefore, the overall blood stress decreases.
- The shifting of respiratory from the chest to the stomach or diaphragm in Chandra Bhedi Pranayama helps overcome heartburn. When the LES (Lower Esophagus Sphincter) weakens, abdomen acid is extra more likely to inject into the esophagus (gullet), the place it causes heartburn.
- It additionally helps in lowering the elevated physique temperature as a result of physique's protection mechanism towards overseas substances like viruses and micro organism. Hence, Chandra Bhedana works as a therapeutic agent for fever.
In addition to its therapeutic software, Chandra Bhedana Pranayama advantages the physique and thoughts on this manner.
1. Manages the immune and metabolic response
Chandra Bhedi Pranayama includes respiratory slowly and deeply, which brings extra oxygen into the physique. This alerts the mind to calm down and balances ranges of cortisol hormone, which is answerable for sustaining immune and metabolic responses all through the physique.
2. Overcome stress and nervousness
Any stimulus that disturbs the stability between the physique and thoughts results in stress, which ends up in pointless hyperactivity within the physique. However, in line with one of many analysis on faculty college students, it was discovered that the imply stress stage measured earlier than and after the Chandra Bhedi Pranayama observe check decreased considerably.
3. Improves blood circulation
Slow and deep inspiration whereas practising Chandra Bhedi Pranayama will increase the stress gradient between the fitting coronary heart and the systemic circulation because the intrathoracic / intrapleural stress is transferred to the fitting atrium. Hence a rise in venous return filling the amount of the fitting atrium and proper ventricular stroke.
4th Improves respiratory effectivity
According to one of many research, there’s a important enchancment in lung perform assessments resembling Forced Vital Capacity (FVC), Maximum Expiratory Flow Rate (PEFR), Forced Expiratory Flow (FEF 25-75%), and Maximum Voluntary Ventilation (MVV). Hence, the common observe of Chandra Bhedi Pranayama will increase the effectivity of respiratory. In addition, when used repeatedly, it has optimistic results on the respiratory and cardiovascular system.
5. Activate Ida Nadi
In Chandra Bhedi Pranayama, the left nostril is used to breathe air inward. This can also be the purpose via which the Ida Nadi runs. Hence the breath stimulus of Ida Nadi on this Pranayama and ensures calmness of physique and thoughts in addition to coolness in the entire physique. In addition, it additionally helps in activating Sushumna Nadi that dwells within the middle together with Pingala Nadi that runs via the fitting nostril.
sixth Synchronized mind waves
Regular observe of this pranayama improves and controls the refined phenomenon of the mind. This brings the thoughts and physique collectively synchronously via respiratory. However, in line with research, it has been discovered that Chandra Bhedi Pranayama helps in shifting the frequency quantity, which ends up in human mind consciousness by reaching the upper cognitive states.
The Chandra Bhedi Pranayama is an efficient yoga respiratory that calms the thoughts and physique via its cooling impact via Ida Nadi. However, it is usually useful in treating heartburn and helps in decreasing physique temperature as nicely.
Due to the synchronized motion of the hemisphere of the mind, it will increase the practitioner's consciousness, which additional results in a non secular path. Therefore, practitioners ought to repeatedly observe refining their prana in each manner